My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Rough transcript of my serendipitous call to Finebaum show June 4

  Ryan McGhee the baseball writer who lived in Travelers Rest SC in late 80s when his Dad worked for Furman was guest host. I was first caller about ten minutes in and the conversation just took off. We seem to have better rapport than Finebaum and me on most occasions, not counting my glorious conversation with Greg McElroy, one Rhodes scholar to another, in October 2012.

    Ryan: First caller today from Gaffney South Carolina, home of the peach.

    Fox: Got a lot on my mind today and would love to talk about the Furman legends at fluor Field but you are the SEC network so I guess will start with the Bear. Well before that what you think of this Luke Chapman kid from Easley with the Gamecocks in the playoffs. I was at a wedding over the weekend and playin one ups stories and threw my pick up game with Kevin Garnett out there when he was a 9th grader on a playground in Mauldin SC. Fellow from Arkansas a kidney doctor immediately went to his wife and her story of her 103 year old grandmother who witnessed Johnny Cash and Bear Bryant tossing a football just outside Fordyce Arkansas way back there in the 20s 1920s when both were still boys. Same town Mick Jagger of the Stones got arrested in the 60s.

    Ryan:  Chapman is the real deal. Having a good playoff. Gonna keep following him...... Lot happens in small towns. You had a strong story with Kay Gee, but Bear and Johnny Cash hard to beat. So how's Gaffney.

   Fox: I don't live there now but that's where I'm from. Guess how many football games they lost from fall of 1960 through Billy Ray Rice senior year, fall of 67.

   Ryan: I don't know Seven, I just know anytime even in the 80s they came in or near Greenville County they kicked hiney.

  Fox, Answer is three, those textile mill white boys and cornbread boys from Grassy Pond, Goucher and Corinth were serious under the direction of Bob Prevatte and Wayne Whiteside.

    Ryan: Tell me a little something about the Furman legends at Fluor Field.

   Fox: The Golf women, Dottie Pepper, Betsy King and Beth Daniel are there with Stanford Jennings, Sam Wyche who drew up the play for the forty niners where Montanta threw the Superbowl touchdown to Dwight Clark, and Clint Dempsey and tennis legend Coach Paul Scarpa.

   Ryan: I remember Scarpa's wife was one of the Snake's Girlfriends.

  Fox: if you got time for the short version as I heard it.

  Ryan :   Pushing it now but maybe 45 seconds at most

    Fox. I was at a Furman tennis match about ten years ago and as I was about to leave spoke to Mrs. Scarpa in the stands and mentioned some mutual friends, cousin connection of Greenville folks to peeps in Bama.

   She said, oh your from Alabama. Do you follow the Tide.

  I said I'm not crazy about them but aware they have a football team.

   She says I was one of Kenny Stabler's ole girlfriends.

  I said Mrs. Scarpa your still an attractive woman but as good lookin as you had to be 45 years ago anybody that good lookin within 40 miles of Tuscaloosa was one of Stabler's ole girl friends.

   She said I was one of the real ones. I road all over south Alabama in that 66 Mustang.

   (Ryan like the story) and then volunteered after I hung up. Yeah Gaffney got to do something about that peach on 85. Its as if they are mooning every body passing through, Ought to turn it around or at least do something with the leaf to cover  some hiney.....We'll be right back.

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home