My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Pure Nitro, Searching for True Grit in Seneca South Carolina

    Circumstances took a turn on hwy 68, and today I found myself trying to get to Schlotzkys on the catbus while I try to figure out a two state solution. Seneca is the hometown of my High school advanced Composition teacher Miss Margaret Chadwick. Yesterday I read several tributes to Charles Portis, the fellow who wrote True Grit. Jeff Bridges is in the second edition and Mattie has that great line about the Presbyterian Church.

      Here is the link to the Portis tributes. Your life will have more signicance if you read them; and this free associatin blog may make more sense too.

      https://www.oxfordamerican.org/item/1903-man-with-the-keys

   I'm thinking now Portis may be the second greatest man to come out of Arkansas. Maybe third. Of course Johnny Cash is first, maybe Billy Bob Thornton second, Portis third and WJ Clinton fourth or further down. I used to be enamored of Bill, but he has fallen in the last ten years though I hold him in much higher regard than say most Fox News believers in South Carolina, Rome Ga and Hall County, home of Doug Collins.

     I rode the catbus. A twenty minute round trip to Schlotzky's of Seneca, turned into a four hour ordeal. But I did have an interesting conversation on the way to near John C Calhoun's home and on the way back talked to a fellow whose HS English teacher was Ron Rash's wife herself. I think they have a daughter named Caroline and a son James.

    I told the fellow I once interviewed Rash, and knew well the documentarian of both Kurt Cobain and the Stones in Crossfire Hurricane. It's true.

    He was a  Nirvana Fan and goes to church with one of Dabo Swinney's key coordinators.

    All of this helps me reconcile present circumstances after Reading the tributes to Portis.

    Pure Nitro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home