My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Mommas neapolitan milk shake and Sweet Billy in the Big Tub

It appears to be the case as our time is nigh--I figger I got about seven years left--the genetic program kicks in and we become our parents. Lately all the things I scoffed as simpleton are becoming Precious. Momma was happy on saturday evening with the Lawrence Welk hour and scraping a half gallon Neapolitan ice cream box and stirring it down to milkshake, a litte buttermilk didnt hurt.

  However I still dont care for Lawrence Welk other than an occasional trombone solo
   And my dad in the nineties in his last few years especially in the fall would come over and cut some grass--he told Wayne Whiteside I wasnt at worthlesss as it appeared he liked to cut some grass on the plot left to me in Alabama-- and get in the big tub on the old place that had been in Momma's family for seventy years. He couldnt sing worth a darn but he would spend 45 minutes to an hour with every door in the house open to catch the breeze. He's double down on George Beverly Shea Billy Graham specials especially I'd rahter Have Jesus than silver or Gold.
     I'm not a fan of the Gaither Hour but they had Bev Shea on for the hour yesterday and It brought tears to my eyes. Seveal including Rather have Jessus and OUt of the Ivory Palaces
       Shaved ice or snowballs are special again. There is a great place in Powdersville SC that moonlights at Furman home football games. I missed them all summer but got one last week at Furman game. Gonna catch them the rest of the home games as they are closed for the summer in Powdersville.
     Mike Francis locked Ole Man Hill in his stand up from the little league park, Irene Park in 66. Francis a bonified character is gone now. Hill moved his stand to the Mill Village down from the old High School. Lime was my favorite and grape and orange.
     In the early 50s  the great Shoelesss joe Jackson came over from greenville. He had a belly on him but he hit a home run at Irene Park,. Ive seen the picture.
    I think the end of Eight Men Out is one of the greatest scenes in American Cinema. As his former teammate says; that aint him, all those guys are gone now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home