My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Baptists celebrate 400 Years of Grand Tradition

http://www.abpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4275&Itemid=53

This link above shows them at their best.
For me they opened up the world of George Truett, LD Johnson, Will Campbell, Stewart Newman, MLKing, Marshall Frady and Holly Hollman.
From there I explored on occasion as best I could Leszek Kolakowski and John Patrick Diggins.
Had email correspondence with Richard Marius, John Baugh, Dan Vestal, President Carter, Jody Powell, and almost had lunch with Mark Sanders and Bertis Downs.
Helped the Great Bill Moyers in 86 a little on his God and Politics Series.
Got to know Gus Niebuhr, Richard Kremer, Wayne Flynt which gave me the courage to pose a few questions on statewide TV to my friend Lowell Barron.
Even so I shoulda done much better by them and my Mom and Dad; better evidence of it than I have been; but like Will Campbell's grandson said to him, I now say
Thanks.

At its best it's a grand tradition.
My friends Ellen Rosenberg and Randall Balmer, outside the faith, will tell you so.

Congratulations Baptists of 400 years.
Here's to all of you who got dunked in the River, went under the water in the Grand Tradition of Grace Through Faith.
As Flannery O Connor's character was told when he came up on the other side:
You count now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home