My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

American Hero Crystal Lee (norma rae) Sutton and the working Poor

Crystal Lee Sutton died Friday. I didn't know till I heard a eulogy interview of sorts yesterday on NPR. I choked up a little just like I did in Knoxville Tennessee in 1979 when Sally Field portraying Crystal stood up on the table in a textile plant in Alamance County North Carolina and held up the word UNION and shut the place down.
Her supervisor came in and said: "Norma Rae, you're gonna have to go with me."
Later in the film SuttonSallyfieldnormarae is talking to her Baptist preacher and she asks him why he doesn't ever say anything about cotton dust or working conditions or the stretchout or many other of the justice themes in the Bible concerning the working poor and the Preacher says:

"Norma Rae, We're gonna miss your voice in the choir."

Two of my thirty something friends have never seen the film, but I think two other ones have, the one that went to UVA and his friend that went to Auburn and they both know Jody Powell's Momma.
I'm gonna see to it my other two 30 somethin friends see the film.

Here is a great tribute at Mother Jones.
Several other tributes can be googled up at Washington Post and Huffington Post.

I got some friends touring High Cotton in DC. I hope they use their access to Power to get Health Reform passed. Do it for Ted Kennedy and Crystal Lee Sutton, Norma Rae.

Like Fannie Lou Hamer of the Mississippi Freedom Democrat Party asked the world in 1964 at the Democrat National Convention: "Is This America????"

Click here for more links and quotes:

www.baptistlife.com/forums

Great link there to the NPR Here and Now eulogy of Monday from Alamance County.

www.crystalleesutton.com/movie_poster_large.html

1 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

Here is a quote from the Mother Jones eulogy

Last year, Sutton told a reporter how she would like to be remembered:

It is not necessary I be remembered as anything, but I would like to be remembered as a woman who deeply cared for the working poor and the poor people of the U.S. and the world, that my family and children and children like mine will have a fair share and equality.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home