My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, July 08, 2019

Which More significant, Moon Landing or King's Dream Speech

   Friends I sent out a text to several Revenants, mostly in Alabama, this morning posing the question. A former SGA President of a historically Baptist College who had friends in the Bush 43 White House and helicopter landings in Jasper Missouri is resolute that the Moon Landing of 69 was most significant mid 20th Century.

    I think Harvard Historian Jill Lepore is correct when on the third page of her magisterial 2018 history of America, These Truths, she spotlights the picture of Martin Luther King on the Mall in front of the Lincoln Memorial August 1963 when Mahalia Jackson spoke out loud enough for him to Hear, Martin, Tell em about the Dream.

    Frye Galliard does justice to both events in his Chronicle of the 60s Hard Rain.

    And one of my texters, a seminary graduate replied this morning:

       I wonder if we coulda had one without the other.... But I would definitely say the King Speech.

   I'm with him and my perception of Lepore's leaning.

     What do you think?


     FTR That night in 69 I was across the road in Alabama, the one Bonhoeffer came up in 31. summer of my tenth grade year. Furthrest thing from my mind at the time. Had been living in South Carolina for seven years, that 50 years later I would end up across the road.

   As Paris Trout Said, Cradle to Cradle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home