My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Catholic Particularity as Trump comes to Tuscaloosa to see Nick Saban and the Tide

     About ten years ago I crashed an event at Sewanee Writers conference to hear the Harvard Literary Critic James Wood. And these last few years I'd planned to go again to hear the Catholic Novelist Alice McDermott but I didn't get there.
   I wanted to tell Alice that if you change the accents a little and the faith, not a lot of difference in the working Class Catholics she writes about about and the strong values conservative congregation of my Dad's Bethany Baptist Church in Gaffney SC in 60s and 70s.

      Her people and the congregation that fed me and the family for 16 years I suspect are easily in the Trump Column. They aren't deplorable but the leadership of Lee Atwater, Carroll Campbell and now Sean Hannity and North Greenville College play them corrosively to the detriment of our Country.

    And Furman and Wofford who know better for all their boasting about the virtues of enlightened liberal arts education; well you can't see much evidence in the ballot box.

 Same for Samford and Birmingham Southern here in Bama. Rick and Bubba radio have a bigger following than Wayne Flynt and Harper Lee, though my God they do love to brag about Miss Nelle bein from here.

   And now Donald Trump is coming to see the Sabans.  Will the honors program at U Bama have anything to say, or Nick Saban's St Francis Catholic Church.

   I called them Monday and asked them to think about this new Off Broadway play
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/theater/heroes-of-the-fourth-turning-review.html

    And I tried to call Paul Finebaum but his line has been busy lately.

     Allan Boesak, the  South African theologian, had the lead piece in Christianethicstoday.com Fall issue. I'm proud the editor of that quarterly is a Furman grad, 65, two years after Marshall Frady.

     Boesak has something to say about Trump and the politics of vulgarity. Read it and ask yourself if another person of faith, Pete Buttigiege--google Randall Balmer on a new Redeemer President--might be a better way.
     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home