My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, July 06, 2020

My Mommas 97th today shared with Bush 43's 74th

     It never registered with me till today that Momma shared the same birthday with Dubya.

    I like Dubya just never thought he shoulda been president. I saw the movie. Proud of him for showing up with Laura and Barack and Michelle in Selma in 2015 but Dick Cheney and the War in Iraq were disasters.

    I knew Momma better than Dubya so gonna talk about her now. I have blogged before about her getting her name in the Atlanta Constitution before I did; come to think of it I still haven't so still in the Never did column.

   And I confess there were decades even when she was disappointed in my failure to fulfill my promise at least in conventional terms, but there were decades maybe the first two and then the last one, that gives me thirty years where I think she was proud.

   I know in my heart she was proud of the phone call I made to My Friend Four this morning on her 97th.

     Daddy told me a few years after Momma died after his first month or so of sermons at Bethel outside Newport Tn, She came to him and said "Billy, if that's the best you can do we're gonna have a rough row to hoe."

     Thomas Barksdale liked that story.

     Got me to thinking about how Andy Gunn and our Mormon Friend Mark Poole  finished our academic career at Gaffney High. Miss Chadwick gave us an academic year to read six short stories. With about three weeks to go the three of us were about ten or eleven behind.

    Momma opened up the Baptist church for us to have focussed study for our delinquency on reading and writin.

    We all got em in and I think Momma typed mine. If not Miss Chadwick woulda had a cease and desist of the three of the top ten grads that year and woulda been a disaster as my Most Intellectual picture was already in the annual.

     There is a cartoon picture somewhere around the house of a woman in a 50s skirt with a baseball glove behind a 2nd base little leaguer deep in the infield. She has her glove open just in case and the kid says, I got it Mom.

    That was my Momma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home