My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, February 01, 2021

Anniversary, one year in Upstate SC

  Last year on Feb 1 was a Saturday. Two weeks earlier I got knocked in a ditch on my bicycle on a Sunday afternoon in the narrows on 68 in Collinsville Alabama and was taking to the emergency room. Banged up and bruised but nothing broken; however did have some concussion issues that didn't go away for two weeks.

   So my brother and sister met me at the Zaxby's in Cartersville where I had been deposited on a rainy day by my UPS friend Andee and his wife about ten years younger n him. My bro and sister showed up in 15 minutes or so as they'd got stuck in traffic on North side of Atlanta. They wanted to go to Krystals which wasnt the best for my throbbin head but they were excited and promised to stop for me at Chic Fil a on 400 east of Gainesville in what by now has become Marjorie Taylor Greene Qanon land.

   Well I got up here intended to stay a month at the longest. But the NBA shut down their season and dawdling Trump about the middle of March conceded This Covid 19 thang was serious. So family thought it best, to make arrangements with the Catbus to ride it out up here.

   Most people who read this blog know I was in the Upstate from 62 in third grade, through High school and Furman and three years more till 78 then to Knoxville for three years and other wanderings, Rome Ga and what not and then Bama the last 30 and now back again.

   I had every intention on three separate occasions to catch Amtrak or meet somebody half way to get back to Bama to check on what is called in Child of God, "My Property." Lot of back and forth in an underappreciated movie in East Tennessee: " This is My property, by God,; no it ain't your property, Oh hell yeah it is my damn property" etc and what not. Well my property is my property in Alabama, that not in dispute I just need to give it some attention as I intended before I got bumped in the ditch.

   Other than imbroglios with the SC Dept of Motor Vehicles gettin a SC Version; I can't say I'm fluorishing but it's a little different, though I still yearn for a two state solution as I left rather abruptly with like I say, things untended.

    But it's been a tough year for a lot of folks according to the newspaper, the TV and the internet. And Then Trump wanted to do away with 200 years of transitional norms and stoked that insurrection and what not.

    When I get me a car that will run a couple months at a time without too much drama, can get back to Alabama and back and again etc; and a new dependable bicycle I should be good to go for another 7 years or whenever that great final exit comes.

   Lost some good friends and others whose welfare I had interest in; done some reading, gone deep with UNC TV catching up on some PBS docs I missed in Bama.

     Saw News of the World Saturday night. First time in a theatre in 18 months, so that was comforting and a good movie. I want to read the chapter where Hanks and the German Indian girl hook up with the youngster who is a little hardscrabbled and rough around the edges but likes good stories; Was interesting how that played out while thinking that part of the story was well done. Mused about LBJ, Moyers and Molly Ivins as only one of them still living.

     Nothing profound to say here other than the worn phrase Life is in the Livin of it. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home