My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Ron Rash Poem on Textile Mill Owner

   Ron Rash is a friend. Another friend and I worked on an adaptation of his novel One Foot in Eden for the Big Screen. At least two Oscar nominees became attached in the process but after ten years it all evaporated.

    I read his poem The Last Interview in Easley SC Thursday night open mike at the Library. Put it in context of some drama in Gaffney in late 70s. Also mentioned I was on national TV twenty odd years ago in a video response to the PBS Documentary the Uprising of 34.


       The Last Interview


        Thats an early picture on the wall

       painted the year I graduated from

Princeton University, the year

I took my first trip to the continent,

But I digress. You spoke of exploitation

The working man's abuse by men like me.

If they are so abused why don't they go back

to the farms they flee to work in mills,

become Vanderbilt Agrarians

quoting Cicero as they slop their hogs.

In thirty four when the union leaders came

and promised everything they could, then more,

my workers stuck with me. My workers kneew

I'd take care of them. Eureka ran

when other mills shut down. I took a loss

 so they could have some work. Noblesse Oblige

is an idea we still live by in the South.

All Men created equal? Yes Perhaps

but see how soon we sort the top ones out.

Watch any group of childrenn, they have leaders,

followers and stragglers. It does not change

as they grow older. No one questions rank in war of Politics so why not business.

Don't think that I am stupid. I see your pen

hasn't moved since this interview began.

You'll slant what I have said to fit your needs. I know how writers work, their luxury

of always being outside looking in,

passing easy judgments while they risk

nothing of their own, mere dilettantes.

Your words mean nothing to me. I know the truth.

I gave them more than they ever had. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home