My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ten Good things about Collinsville

Folks say I only put the town down, never say anything nice. That is not true; but if you read Kevin Phillips in American Theocracy on Alabama and the Dixie Cup; well it is a tough Hoe.

But here are ten good things I have observed in my make it twenty years Dec 14 2006 in Bama

10There for a while I could go outside and point my bicycle toward town and it was downhill all the way for the 2 dollar lunch at school
9The Wit of Thomas Barksdale; the truth telling of Herman Kerley.
9b) The Way Bell Hamituh said " Lookout Street."
8 I got a shade tree in the front yard and a ridge line and can hear the train going down the track, same track that bore Tallulah Bankhead's Dad's body away down from DC where it was viewed the day before by the President whose name escapes me at the moment.
7There was a sharp bunch of kids come through the school in the early 90's went to Duke and Virginia and Auburn, Bham Southern and the Baptist school in Bham and one of even went to Vanderbilt grad school, another to Yale Div. One now, by the grace of God and His Magnificence now shows promise as a collaborative and sole screenwriter.
6 Pretty girls, among them the Roberts sisters both of who made Homecoming queen, Pam Blackwell, Faviola and Alexa and Yulianna, Two of Bo's sisters and Tara George. Seems like there was one other pretty girl/woman around here but I can't place her at the moment
5 Peggy Weaver is as decent a woman I have met anywhere, though not quite the saint My Mother was. My Momma could play the Alabama Jubilee; on the other hand Coplin/Weaver reputedly scored perfect on Math portion of the ACT in 1965
4 Solomon, and Lawrence Williams had a good run on the basketball court in the mid 90's.
3 LD Dobbins and Brother Atkins
2 The library project once showed great promise but has pretty much floundered due to, in my opinion, the politics of the Librarian and the fear she has struck in City Hall, the Mayor in particular who streetnames for folks only been here 6 years. It will probably take outside counsel now, and renewed and prudent energy from its key original visionaries, John and Susan Weaver Morgan to salvage it now and take it home. I have some ideas, but the board and City council seem recalcitrant and self satisfied with the kangaroo court of January 24.
1 My Momma was born here, and her Dad ran for County School Supe early 20th Century. With a little imaginative stretch Ron Rash World Made Straight is as true for here, as the Shelton Laurel Massacre of Madison County, N.C.

2 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

I made some minor edit of Number 2 this afternoon. I was troubled by what some would construe as sustained denunciation.
I did not want to mince words, at same time wanted to temper any appearance of malice. I hope you understand like Mary Oliver on Jesus on the water: " tender and luminous and demanding
as he always was
a thousand times more frightening
than the killer sea."

6:05 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

You must love your town even though it has its flaws. I'm the same with Beaumont. A lot of people look at the flaws and don't want to live here. But I love the people here, and will always consider this my hometown.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home