My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

New 11/29, improved; Huckabee encounter and Links

From today's Nov 29 Newsweek
Huckabee may be a preacher, but he is no choir boy. He is a mix of humility and high-strung ambition. He is out to prove to the world that he is not a man to be underestimated just because he worked his way through an obscure Bible college in Arkansas.
He seemed mildly irritated when a reporter in the post-debate spin room asked him if he would be a good vice-presidential running mate. "I'm leading in Iowa now," he said. "You ought to be asking me if I'd pick any of these other guys to be my running mate." He added, "I think most all of them are fine people." Key word: most.
placeAd2(commercialNode,'bigbox',false,'')

Chatting after the debate, Huckabee was nonchalant—and did not seem surprised—when told that a flash poll of viewers had judged him the overwhelming winner Wednesday night. Gena Norris (wife of Chuck) congratulated him on the wonderful "aura" that he exuded onstage. He didn't seem surprised by that either.
© 2007 Newsweek, Inc.

And this great exhaustive story with links from ed.com

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=9768

http://campaignsandelections.com/sc/articles/index.cfm?id=983

Nice fellow, disarming and affable.
Heard him preach in a Baptist church and got in the welcoming line after the Invitation.
SAng several of Aunt Virginia's favorite songs including Victory in Jesus and not What Wondrous Love is This but one of the other ones.
I asked him what he could do for the Collinsville Lyberry and he said he could getrdone. Bad joke

Was good to sing with a congregation again, even more than likely I was the only citizen in there likely to vote for Obama on the day the curtain is pulled behind me.

His text was about Jesus and the tax collector and He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
Whole thing was kinda surreal as I was watching him with Kenneth Copeland on TV about 30 minutes before being in Sunday services with him; and before Copeland hearing his chances and some quotes tossed around with Tim Russert on Meet the Press.
Had couple of strong conversations with some good folks, but true believers on the social issues. Tried to get them interested in the final chapters of Garry Wills American Christianities, which I said frames the debate for them if they would just take a good tip from Alabama. They thought Alabama was good ways to come just to join them in service, but said they were glad to have me. Good people; I admire them for their convictions.

When I got to the ARkansas Governor, passed on some names of some folks who may help him in Alabama was upfront and said I played mostly in the other playground.
Asked him about the DReam Act. It didn't ring a bell with him but as I explained it, he said he had favored similar legislation in ARk, but it failed. His wife chimed in for the concept saying children should not be penalized just because their parents had committed a "crime."
He had a good anecdote about his first meeting with SBC evangelist Jerry Vines of Rome, Georgia; story about Huckabee as a young man picking Vines up at the Dallas Airport for a James
Robison event for whom Huckabee was working in late 70's.

Glad I went. We'll see where it all goes.

From there I went to 2nd viewing in four days of No Country for Old Men; Very strong Film I highly recommend.

1 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

Huckabee is drawing lot of heat today in a Robert Novak Column in Wash Post.
Column calls Huckabee a false fiscal conservative.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home