My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, December 03, 2012

First Bama Sunday of Advent 2012

  As I've said many times before here on this blog I got voted off the property of the Collinsville Baptist Church May 28, 2012. The 5 or six women who got the deacons to do their dirty work have yet to come forward and repent of their churchin; while I'm outside the sanctuary where my Momma was baptized. No one said anything to my appeal to attend the 175th anniversary back in August and I'm left singing the First Noel to myself at my home in the vicinity.
    Some of the Jezebels I'm sure think it's an answer to prayer.

    So I found myself at Jack's Sunday afternoon. Had great conversations with some passersthrough from Knoxville; and then overheard a conversation on Jesus and Moses from some fellows in the booth behind me. As I have been enthralled by Paul Harvey's Moses, Jesus and the Evangelical Trickster in the South as of late, I eavesdropped in earnest.
    Turns out these two wiry 40 somethings, and a plump third fellow were rehabbed meth users. Apparently one of had done some time. They were loosely affiliated with freegospelpreaching.com and left me with three CD's; One Titled The Great White Throne.
    They were from Mississippi. So I brought up Laurel and Sam Bowers and Mississippi Burning and Marcus Dupree. One of em said his brother was Sam Bowers cellmate if I understood him correctly.
   I told one of em the short version of Billy Sunday Birt of Winder Ga; but after all this theology they had to get back on the road to Mississippi. They told they lived not far from Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love, the Mississippi version made famous by Goodman Schwerner and Cheney and the aforementioned Marcus Dupree of ESPN 30/30 and the book by Willie whathis name, Marshall Frady's friend.

     Bowers was interviewed by my friend Charles Marsh for his Book God's Long Summer, and Fleming Rutledge Preached about him and the murder of Vernor Dahlmer in her sermon God Damned Christians.
   I told a Baptist preacher friend of mine formerly married to a Miss Delaware. He's a fan of Will Campbell as well. Will in a blog here a few weeks ago.

   So first Sunday of Advent turned out all right here in Northeast Alabama. My letter got published in the county paper and proof of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ was there once again in a booth behind me.
  I forgot to say just a few minutes before all this went down, the fellow from Arkansas and his family who had been to a good country church that morning had left the building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home