My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mike Hubbard and Jon Appleton, Two distinct visions for America

   If you know Jennifer Wilkins, Gloria Morgan, Sandra Killian or Rebecca Clayton please bring this blog to their attention. They are from Collinsville Alabama, leaders in the community but have never to my understanding been able to distinguish between the likes of our Bama Speaker of the house, known to Baptist Joe Scarborough of the FBC Pensacola Florida, and Bo Jackson; and a real Christian of the life of Jon Appleton. Especially a Baptist Christian as they have proven on several occasions to various degrees not to know a Baptist from a Hole in the Ground.

    So here is an aid. Jon Appleton's great grandfather's picture is in the Overstreet Room in the narthex of the Collinsville Baptist Church where my Mother was baptized in about 1936. Bonhoeffer drove through town in April of 1931 and my Grandfather ran as a Lincoln Republican for School Superintendent in 1931.

  I attended the annual meeting of the DeKalb County Landmarks Historical Association and heard a fine presentation by Judge Randall Cole. Sunday I heard stories that Rebecca Clayton would have summarily ruled out of order.

  More about that later in a blog about former SBC president Bobby Welch, Ft Payne native.

   But for now Pastor Emeritus of FBC Athens Georgia from a column Jan 28, 2005 Athens Banner Herald. In May of 2010 Appleton was the honored guest on a Sunday morning at FBC Ft Payne as part of their year long anniversary celebration. I don't think Welch was invited.

   Jon Appleton:
 
           Christian Right Holds GOP Future

  Congrats to the GOP, national statewide and local. The era of your ascension has arrived. As you now manipulate the takeover to entrench your destiny, I raise to you a flag of caution. The power you now exert is a gift to you of the religious right. Without them you would not be.
    Already you have compromised and deleted proven tenets of the GOP wooing them under your pennant. Should you presume you now have a happy and satisfied ally, your assumption is wrong. You know you are "in" because of them. Thus become accustomed not in just tipping your hat toward them--because their agenda is at its beginning. They were invited to "the party" and they will be the last to leave, after you. The day will come when their decisions are your decisions. Some of you will be strong to withstand. However, should you choose to fight their agenda, they will pronounce you dead, politically. And, you will be.
   Let me give to the strong a word of hope. My dad was an old fundamentalist--not the lower case f--Baptist preacher in Alabama. In the early 60's he and I were listening to the godfather of fundamentalists Baptists. Halfway through the great Texan's (W.A. Criswell) sermon, my dad retrieved his hat from under the pew, stood and walked toward the exit. Concerned, I followed, overtaking him at the door.
   I asked him if he were okay and he loudly said "No"! Then, pointing to the pulpit, he said: "That man is confused; he thinks he is God."

     Two decades later when the fundamentalists had indeed taken over the Southern Baptist Convention, my dad--81 at the time-said to me. "Should you live as long as I have you will no longer be a Southern Baptist."
    I asked why and he said: "They are not who we are. They have a different agenda."
   Well, I'm still a Baptist, no longer a Southern Baptist. Indeed their agenda and their maniacal fanaticism, by which they fight to win is not who I am.
   Though now alive and well you GOP enjoy "the party". However be cautious as some of you already are the walking dead. However once you are expurgated from their web, there will be a glorious resurrection for you and a renewed sense of freedom from manipulative government.
   The religious right has a right to be, however, I have exercised by right not to so be as prescribed by it.
    Soon, you will note that your foe will not be so much across the aisle, as seated among The Party. Then, you must decide your will to be repressed or to be free.

   As For Me I will enjoy Freedom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home