My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, August 08, 2014

Chat with Congressman Aderholt Staffer

   I had an interesting chat with an Aderholt staffer this morning, young fellow from Walker county who says he's been with the Congressman 7 years or more.

  He was shallow on the legacy of Judge Frank Johnson from Winston County, though patient with my call even when it got testy for a few seconds.

   I was lamenting my Rep's failure to have a town hall meeting the last 5 years or so. I realize it's a tough district, but a conversation, open Q and A is good for Democracy. Immigration reform in light of the crisis with the Honduran refugees and the recent viral utube of Congressman King and some Dreamers call for leadership with the number of Hispanics in our district.

   I asked for leadership, not just kowtowing to the consensus lowest common denominator of the status quo. What do you expect from White Christians whose basic political diet is Fox News.

    I asked the staffer to get Aderholt to reach out to UMC Bishop Wallace Padgett whose offices are on campus of Robert's alma mater. Gave him an easy google for Willimon repents, ethicsdaily, about the experience of the former Bishop.

      My Dad's friend Colin Harris has some recent pieces about the GOP and the dog whistle on immigration reform and other matters.

       Robert Aderholt is no Judge Frank Johnson. Neither am I. But these times call for better than Laura Ingraham coming to the Bama/ Tex A and M game for hoopla rather than a visit with Nick Saban's priest at St. Francis.

   While near at hand here is a link for Congressman Aderholt and his staff. We must escape the fog of the 70's, 40 years ago:

  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/11/uses-division

1 Comments:

Blogger Prentice Fox said...

Mr. Stephens, I have to agree with So Salty here. You need to be more tolerant of white people, and respect Diversity in Alabama in the 21st Century.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home