My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 retrospective

     Last year was tougher than I had hoped it would be. I started well fairly refreshed after two week stay with family in the Upstate topped off by a trip to Bridges BBQ on a bright day with brother and sister, even Shaun Chastain on a bright day.

   But not long after return to Bama this virus then sinus then some other infection took the juice out of me. In March I got a catch, an ache in my left inside thigh to the groin that  has aggravated me ever since. Don't know if its arthritic or what, some days I thought it was going away but it has been constant. Some days it is difficult to walk up the front steps at my place in Bama. Tood the spark out of most days in a year when I needed to show the flag.

    A series of minor disappointments accumulated to make it a struggle. There were several near excursions that didn't materialize so after I while I pretty much through up the white flag.
 
   Still there were a few satisfactions. I read several good books this year and they registered. Denis Johnson's Train Dreams came with a strong endorsement from Harvard Lit Critic James Wood. And my friends Charles Marsh of UVA and Randall Balmer of Dartmouth bios of Bonhoeffer and President Carter came in the mail. I read both thoroughly and championed their merits here on my blog and other platforms.

     Late in the year Bev England's sweet tribute to her parents, Furman's Martin England and wife Mabel of Birmingham came my way. Sam Hodges is likely to offer a review in the Furman alumni magazine next year.

   Here at year's end Wuthonw's Rough Country came to the NACC Library so I've got new insights on WA Criswell and his historic cabal; and Azar Nafisi's The Republic of Imagination has been inspirational on the promise of America rightly understood.

    I called the D.C. staffs of various congressmen and Senators during the year, and tried to keep Governor Bentley on his toes with calls to his office in Montgomery. Saw him on the campaign trail in Ft Payne, talked to some staffers but not him in person on a cold last day of October.

    Lost several friends during last year including classmate Lucille Thompson in Gaffney and a friend of the family in Gaffney days, Carol Neal at years end. My Dad's sister died early in December and my Collinsville friend Elmo Lambert earlier this week.

       The Bible says more will pass next year and in a few years I will no longer walk the earth either.

     But for now I'm around. I had some good BBQ yesterday, got some good tea at Chic Fil A coming my way with Christmas coupons and depending on how I budget Cracker Barrel some catfish by mid January. And then February will be on us and who not what may happen on any given day the son shines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home