My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, February 05, 2015

Selma and The Auburn Creed

    Tea Party REpublican and Baptist fundamentalist hugh Taylor was swept into the Dekalb County School Supe's office by the Bleaching strategies of Bama House Speaker Mike Hubbard. See New Racism, New Republic article by Jason Zengerle.  
    In a few days I will post a lengthy column I've submitted to a Bama paper on the national brouhaha Supe Taylor caused by denying the students at Collinsville High School the privilige of seeing the Oscar nominated movie Selma on School time.
      The Auburn Creed in about section 7 says this and I quote:  I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God." 
     Mike Hubbard has some shortcomings with the Auburn Creed, and if he doesn't he should welcome a chance to talk about the New Republic article in Montgomery with Auburn Grad Cynthia Tucker and the first black woman to win the National Book award for non-fiction, Isabel Wilkerson.
    Auburn University Democracy Project has networks in Collinsville and Selma and 7 other small towns across Alabama. Recently they spolighted a recent grad, Lowery McNeal who was an extra on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma.
     Mike Hubbard's son Clayte is a Freshman at Furman. I graduated from there in the mid 70s. As I say in my soon to be released letter, somebody has some explainin to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home