My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Copacetic and other dramas

  Left Collinsville last Friday July 29 after a little Thursday evening drama I think will pass soon. Collinsville can become petty on occasion but 30 years in a town where my Mother's family goes back to the 1840s and not everybody loves you. As Ive blogged before see the Kell Anthology The Exiled Generations.

   It goes without saying everybody in the burg of 1700 knows Bonhoeffer.

   Should be home for Trade Day in the morning August 6th.

    Just read in the Atlantic Trump's campaign says things are copacetic at the moment, but hinted there may be reason to believe otherwise. Some of you know Flannery OConnors famous line about sin; well Trump is a trick on Crackers.

   Sadly the white working class has many substantive complaints. But the Demagogue Trump and his tea party handlers like Billy Graham's creation Trey Gowdy are not the remedy. Our prayers should be for Hillary because she is gonna be the next President of the United States.

  I was hoping Hillary could put her ideals and vision in the candidacy of somebody like Chet Edwards so the country could move beyond the Clinton baggage. On the other hand this is history making stuff and maybe she is the person to tangle with the legacy of Roger Ailes at Fox News and the sinister politics of the gun lobby. New Yorker pieces by David Remnick, Ailes and Trump Nexus; and Evan Osnos make that clear enough for me.

   I have some baseball and tennis stories for later; and saw the movie Nerve.  On the Friday morning of my Bama exit was in Rome Ga for the grand opening of the Rome Tennis Center at Berry College. Find it on facebook. Got my picture taken for the 22 in the facebook rollout. Looking forward to some big names there in the next couple years and there is already talk of SEC tourney coming there.

    I  have a deadline today (first draft)  and must mention Joni Tevis, Furman writer, native of Easley SC. I just read her chapter Warp and Weft on the apocalyptic end of Textile Mills in Upstate SC in her book The World is on Fire. Like me she heard some end time preaching growing up in Upstate SC. I get where she comes from and recommended to some folks in Gaffney just a few minutes ago.

   On Tuesday of my latest foray to the Upstate I went on a little BBQ adventure to find Mike and Jeff's on Buncombe at the recommendation of Greenville News. Strong smoke flavor but I doubt I will be going back as long as Henry's is around; my Upstate mainstay if Bridges in Shelby is not a family logistical option.

   But leaving M and J's on a whim I crossed Old Buncombe on Hammett Street and for about two miles headed toward Poinsett and Furman I was back in time 50 years in the belly of a mill village. Two narrow railroad underpasses and there I was. It's the Greenville the Chamber of Commerce gentrification destination city folks downtown which now has a Brooks Brothers don't talk about much; about halfway on the five miles between Furman and downtown.
  
    So I got set up well for Joni. In between the first writing of this blog and this followup found out her Warp and Weft was online. Hope many of you read.

   https://placesjournal.org/article/warp-and-weft/


    I think Marshall Frady would give her a thumbs up.

    Must mention this for the record. I saw Helen Lee Turner at Furman yesterday. Had a brief chat about Randall Balmer and Billy Graham and Balmer's essay on Billy and the Judgments of History. One of my ongoing obsessions but will have to pick up on that later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Semper Fi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:24 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Hillary Clinton has your back, Prentice. I have noticed over the course of a lifetime every time you show concern, things get worse.

I have other friends, family with more virtue whose concerns are authentic. I will be in counsel with them. Had good exchange with a fellow Furman friend who unlike you really knew Marney, his father did; and is known to Bishop TuTu himself. We had good Marney, Will Campbell exchange about justice, jerks and cussedness.

6:03 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Theories about the origin of copacetic abound. The tap dancer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson believed he had coined the word as a boy in Richmond, Virginia. When patrons of his shoeshine stand would ask, "How’s everything this morning?" he would reply, "Oh jes’ copacetic, boss; jes’ copacetic." But the word was current in Southern Black English perhaps as early as 1880, so it seems unlikely that Robinson (born in 1878) could have invented the term. Another explanation is that the word is from the Hebrew phrase kol be sedher, meaning "everything is in order." Possibly it was coined by Harlem blacks working in Jewish businesses. The word’s popularity among Southern blacks, however, points to its originating in one of the Southern cities in which Jewish communities thrived, such as Atlanta.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home