My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, October 25, 2018

My Dad's Red Sox rollin in the World Series

  I've made several blogposts the last few years about my Dad's love for the Boston Red Sox, Carl Yazstremski,  and Leon Culberson who he said almost married his sister Aunt Virginia. Leon, Dom Dimmagio and the 46 Bosox are part of baseball lore told well by David Halberstam in the Teammates. My Dad passed in 99 so he never got to see the Bosox break the Series Curse. I remember seeing FFn Bucky Dent rip his heart out in 78 and it was some time in there, was it Buckner when the ball went between his legs. That coulda been the early 80s.

   Leon's grandson Charlie now plays for the Braves and had a glorious playoff with the Dodgers last year. This year with the Braves he faced the Dodgers and did okay.

    Walker Buehler played at Vanderbilt coming out of Clay County HS in Kentucky. I think he overlapped a year with Yaz grandson Mike. There was a natty in there somewhere. That year 14 or so I tried to get the Red Sox 1a team at Fluor Field to host Vandy and the Citadel. If they woulda pulled it off you coulda had the grandson of Yaz and the great grandson of Shoeless Joe Jackson of the Citadel on the same field. My alma mater Furman woulda rounded out a tri fecta.

   My nephew took Jon Lester's wife to her Jr Prom at Wade Hampton High. But that was before she met Lester and he went to the Cubs. Just random and I won't be speaking to my nephew for a while anyway maybe past Christmas.

   We'll see.

       I want the Sox to win, and my friend from Gaffney Grady Sizemore shared the outfield, well switched out with Jackie Bradley Jr in 2010; Grady Jr hit a home run first at bat that season and I thought he was on the road to redemption glory after a great decade with the Indians and then some rehab. But he faded in a few years jumped around to other clubs but they can never take his glory of the Indians away. Grady the father was a year behind me at Gaffney high, in the Band but he played baseball, even a little for Mars Hill College.

    But Walker Buehler of the Dodgers is my storyline this year. Against the Braves he walks a pitcher that was one for 53 on the year at bats and the next dude hits a grand slam. Place is going crazy. I thought a great baseball moment.

    Then he gets on the mound with the Red Sox and Jackie Bradley Jr stares him down like Jackie Robinson dancing off third toward the plate. Buehler comes unraveled again and baseball mayhem follows.

    Maybe I got it wrong. I think Buehler danced on Verlander, that was it. In any case here we are, Buehler is up tomorrow night and we'll see if Clayton Kershaw has any redemption left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home