My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Well 2018 went by in a flash

    For me 2018 will be the year the car stayed in the yard more months than it was able to get me around dekalb county and through North Georgia to see loved ones. Several friends gave me rides to town on the library in Ft Payne while I tried to figure a cheap way to get it on the highway again.

    It almost got to the point my neighbor across the street hollered one day if you come over the center line in the Highway I'm gonna shoot you cause I cant be runnin you all over the place just because you think I might go to town in 30 minutes.

    I rode my bicycle as much as I could, mostly down hill into town and I could get to the China house in 20 minutes if the pedaling was good and the bulldog at the neighbors about 7 minutes down the highway didnt take a chunk outta my ankle.

    Well I don't want to repeat that year.

   I did get the car going to get me to Upstate on my birthday back in May and that was a good trip through Hayesville.

   But nobody took me to Bridges BBQ all year, well maybe my brother did but I cant remember if that was this year or last, Maybe it was first of June.

    Didnt see a movie all year till last weekend.  But I did read some good books including Varina back in the spring and the Paytons and I got history of Bama in the local History Museum and Thomas and Martha read it.

   Had some big ideas but they have stalled out right now.

    Ate good for the most part though keying on the catfish in Cloudland soon as I can get there.

   As most of you know by now, I did not win the 1.5 billion lotto back in the spring. Bought a ticket, maybe in October about 15 miles away from Simpsonville so that is as close as I ever may get.

    Which reminds me of the October adventure to Furman to crash the Seeking Abraham event. Caught a ride with an Upstate Revenant after a 7 hour delay on the Cracker Barrel porch in Anniston, quite an adventure.

     This Christmas season was almost a disaster but things broke my way and I'm about braced up for 2019.

    I guess we'll see how this Damn Trump thing plays out. At least on the national level don't look like it is gonna be anywhere near as boring as watching a saban team play college football.

1 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

My sister insisted this story be told as well. Happened near years end on Dec 22 a beautiful day: So my sister thought about Christmas without me and couldnt bear it and said about the 17th of Dec if I could get to Gainesville Ga she could meet me there on a saturday. With 48 hours to go a friend in Alabama said he would show up in my front yard at ten am the 22nd so I could sing the Hallelujah Chorus at FBC Easley Sunday morning the 23rd. It was a beautiful day and My sister arrived with her GPS sister at the Chic Fil A on by pass 400 about 7 miles east of Gainseville about 1:30 an hour after I got there. I told her the way to go her house but she said she was using GPS directions. So about an hour and 45 minutes later we were in Westminster where I needed a dollar pair of reading glasses so I could see Handel on the page the next morning. She stayed in the car but moved it down a couple places in the parking lot. When I came out I opened the door to a vehicle same color as hers and a dark face said Are you okay Mister. Well I said to the kind faced colored man, you don't look like my sister. He said he wasn't and I asked him not to shoot me and he smiled and said it hadnt crossed his mind and I thanked him and went to the next car down and told my sister who apparently thought it was the funniest thing she heard all year because before we could get to Se neca and I could get the Schlotzky's Deluxe Original she had already called Lynn Arve,, Karen Baker Carter and was about to call Mary Goforth when her fingers went numb from all the frantic dialing. Then Christmas day with family it was like the only story worth telling all year.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home