My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Cherokee County History Museum Hall of Fame

    Lot of activity recently on Pam Melton Cazel facebook page about a Gaffney Hall of Fame. Cody Sossamon had a front page interview in the Ledger Wednesday with Roger Harris I have yet to read because of the Pay Wall.

   But I have read Tommy Martin's 83 or so column about the Gaffney greats to that date, the HOF of Gaffney High as Granard didn't come over till summer of 68.

    That's  a good list to start with. I don't know much at all about Blacksburg's tradition so I am blind there.

    But here are my 20 nominees for the inaugural class. Starting with People of Color as they had a tradition too before integration.

   For historical and foundational purposes I think the inagural class should focus on 80 and earlier. And I understand this to be all athletes just not football players.



    That said:

    1. Charles Foster, Olympic hurdler Montreal 1976, GHS 71


      2. Ulyssees Dawkins, Great Quarter back at Granard who Roger Harris himself said was easily one of the best athletes in Gaffney in the 60s, outstanding in baseball and basketball as well.

     Willie Jeffries. The Legendary Granard Coach

     4. Johnny Dawkins, pivotal figure in the integration of the public schools who was president of the Student chapter of the NAACP and became award winning screenwriter in LA

     5. Donnie Ray Littlejohn Phenom receiver and defensive back and baseball player who married Elnora

      6. Bob Prevatte

      7 Wayne Whiteside

       8Roger Harris

     9 Joe Wren great athlete who Coach Whiteside told me with Johnny Dawkins the two best athletes of character and integrity he coached.

     10 Rodney Camp Took the Indians to three state chamipionships

    11 Sidney Rice. Check his Wiki Page. And coulda played basketball in addition to football at South Carolina

    12 Billy Ray Rice. Baseball, Football and my Dad performed his wedding

     13 Tim Childers

    14 Benny Lemmons and or his Brother Mac

     15Earl Clary

    16 Louis Sossamon

    I'll stop there. In years to come Tommy Martin's great book on the History of Gaffney Football honored by Max Prep as one of the top 100 programs all time nationally can take the county HOF through the decades since 80.

    But here are my inaugural nominees

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home