My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Collinsville Makes History July 4th

On July 4th, on the front page of Alabama largest Newspaper, above the Fold, was this story on Collinsville.
The big story is the second link, but here is an important one as well, about a kid Georgia Tech and other schools are looking at.
Tech is looking at this kid as a field goal kicker. High arch into the endzone routinely on kickoffs. I've seen it with my own eyes.
He has a beautiful sister. All his brothers and sisters are bright, good students and disciplined. Senator Sessions and Shelby should make something happen for this kid. Don't limit his horizons locally. This kid can kick for Vanderbilt, Princeton, Yale, where the local minister's son recently got an MDiv--what says Willimon can't contact Duke about him--Sewanee,Furman,Clemson, North Carolina.
He has all the makings of a virtuous politician, if challenged and navigated in the right direction. He is easily every bit the equal of North Carolina congressman, the QB from UT.
Among other challenges it will say a lot about Collinsville the way they direct this young man his Senior year in High School.
http://www.times-journal.com/report.lasso?WCD=9076

And putting it all in larger perspective

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/118353785245590.xml&coll=2
And here is another link, challenging take, for especially those in Collinsville with connections to Duke, UVA, Yale and Congressman Aderholt's office

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=9181




PS: I sent an email to several influential people bringing this blog to their attention. If yall can help me get back in the local Library and local Baptist church where my Mother was baptized, maybe we can bring Daniel Alarcon to town for a speech and a fundraiser.
I have corresponded with him on occasion as well.
Just a few days before I was dismissed from the library, the librarian was asking if maybe I could bring another writer to town for a fundraiser. That was why it was all such a surprise to me,ousted while I was out of town in a rainstorm-- kinda on the heels of tryin to help get Matthew into Yale.
Sure, maybe I coulda changed the tone of some of my remarks on occasion; but living in small towns some days you change your pitch.
I've been talkin to Jesus about it all, and he's been tellin me 2 out of three days, four of seven he would like to see me back in the Library with no more than two strikes against me and back in the Babdiss with the opportunity to face my detractors and see if we can work some things out.
We need each other. Just cause I have a hard time gettin along with 4 or 5 women--Even WA Criswell had his problems at FBC Dallas--doesn't mean I can't get along with the other 60 or so people in the congregation. Heck I even got 20 votes of 52 (or 32-20) on a blind vote when I was only given 7 minutes to present my side of the story.
All that is secondary, however, and an afterthought to this promotion of Hernandez's future.
If history has passed me by, then all the best to Hernandez and all the promise he incarnates.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home