My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Balmer, George Truett and My DAD; DC This Friday

Here is a letter looks like will be published in the June 29 Hayesville, North Carolina paper. Looks like a photo opp is in the works later this fall with my brother, sister, and a picture of my Dad when hopefully we present a Balmer autographed copy of his book whose chapter two glorifies Truett.

Balmer was Matthew Morgan's visiting proff at Yale couple falls ago, and Matthew from his offices with the UMC in NYC can see Balmer's Columbia U and the Church of St. John the Divine.
Would be nice if I could get back in the church where Matthew and my Momma were baptized.
As in Duh, Momma of Collinsville was there with us from 59-62 so this is about her as well. A Great patriot like George Truett, she was born the 6th of July. Check the link for Truett's bday. I know he marched on May 16, Casey Mattox Bday.

But here is a link to the Great Truett and then my letter.

http://www.sbhla.org/bio_gtruett.htm

Letters for Publication
Clay County
Hayesville, North Carolina
The Editors:

My Dad was pastor of Truett Memorial Baptist there in Hayesville from 1959-1962. Whatever his merits or flaws, he evolved into a Baptist in the church state vein of George Truett, shaped as my Dad was by a champion of that vein in that time, Stewart Newman of North Carolina's Southeastern Seminary.
In my time I have become acquainted with Randall Balmer of the Barnard College of Columbia University of NYC. Balmer advances Truett's legacy in a chapter devoted to Truett in Balmer's highly acclaimed recent book Thy Kingdom Come.
June 29 at 8 AM Baptists gathering in Washington DC will comemorate Truett's May, 16, 1920 grand address and march on the Capitol Steps with a ceremony at the same location. At noon this same Friday, Balmer will address the luncheon of the Baptist Joint Committee for Public Affairs.
I just wanted to share this news with Truett's hometown, in the beautiful mountains where I was lucky to abide for 3 and a half years.
Truett lives on. I hope many of you will read Balmer's book to revel in his legacy.

Sincerely,


Stephen M. Fox

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

Foxy,

I'll be there to hear Balmer.

Unfortunately, my copy of Thy Kingdom Come has been all marked up, highlighted, and quite worn from multiple reads by multiple family members including myself.

So - I may need to visit Kramers or perhaps the CBF will have an extra copy. Gotta have a clean copy for Professor Balmer to autograph...

8:46 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Biddy:
Thanks for Checkin In. I think lot of discussion of TRuett's legacy may come out of this weekend. I have already bout had to concede he was an inerrantist.
And his church state views were of his time, lot of it fear of Catholicism as Bill Self would tell us in the bat cage.
By the time Balmer comes to Furman next March, maybe we can have more of the square ends rounded.
Fox

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home