My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Dysfunctional Families and an Apology to Snyder Memorial

Public Apology to the Congregation of Snyder Memorial.
In a mild fit in retribution to my Uncle Winston Prentice Fox USAF REtired who olbiquely called me several names at bl.com, made a curious reference to Alabama women--of which he is well aware my Mother numbers--and how they attract men which he editted a couple of times; and ran with a careless aside I made about our common ancestry I remember discussing with him in the past, but he now says never happenned
In a post at bl.com I made some remark after Uncle Prentice's repeated calls for "gravitas" and substance, I said something about the spaghetti dinners at his church being an occasion for gossip games when they ought to be reading Charles Marsh and Randall Balmer; and that I would probably enjoy the congregation and fit in maybe even sing in the choir if I had a Beamer.
I apologize on both counts for those careless asides. From all reports Snyder is one of the better, more progressive congregations in North Carolina with an illustrious history of grand pastors and I commend them for it. I think I said as much on several occasions on the board.
I like Spaghetti as much as the next person and If I coulda afforded just one of the several beauty queens I dated when I was younger, had more hair, swagger and more dependable pulse, If I coulda afforded one of em enough to marry them then I would join you in the spaghetti supper fun. And God Knows I always wanted a Beamer myself, so I am more to blame for the sin of envy and covetnousness than some of you are I imagine for actually owning one.
I have never been to your parking lot to count Beamers so I have no idea what the ratio is to Acura's and Duallies. I hope you all are doing well in that regard; sincerely.
This relationship with my Uncle may become great parable for the curriculum course on Dysfunctional Families in the Bible I think was debutted at a recent gathering of the CBF. I hope to provide a link for you and further parables about Chaplain Fox and myself as this series of blogs develop.
In the meantime, I do sincerely hope many of you there as you evaluate your congregation in this time of transition will take seriously any insight you can gain from the writings of Charles Marsh and Randall Balmer. Jim Henry's daughter, Kate Campbell of http://www.katecampbell.com/ endorses her fellow Mississippian Marsh wholeheartedly and I have no indication she has any reservations about Balmer or the several moments of sustained applause and standing ovation he got this past July at the BJC luncheon in DC.
See my blog below.
AT core that is the difference with UP and myself, if there is any substance to it.
I apologize if any of you felt like collateral damage from a couple careless asides with him in the public forum.
Come back routinely for the episodic parables of my dysfunctional relationship with Uncle Prentice.
In the meantime google up Marsh, and Balmer; as well as what I think is a Smyth and Helwys book on Dysfunctional Families of the Bible.

And do check the Pew comment line at www.faithinpubliclife.org

5 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

Good place to start, at Collinsville Baptists, Dawsom Memorial, a few families at Alice Bell Memorial BC in Knoxville, a congregation known to Ramsey Pollard and Sndyer is to google up Barbara Essex's Krazy Kinfolks, Dysfunctional Families in the Bible. And serious online searchers can find a description of the breakout session on same at Atlanta CBF 2006. I meant to be there but had car trouble and was a day late; however I did get there in time for a photo opp with my friend David Flick you can see here on my blog.

9:56 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

I have made a comment in the Pew Poll examining Candidate's Faith Blog at www.faithinpubliclife.org
It is a great place for Snyder members like Uncle Prentice to engage the conversation with folks who seem to hold Marsh and Balmer in higher esteem than he does.
Hoping someone there can bring all this to the attention of Army Chief Chaplain Doug Carver as an exchange between him and Marsh in this election season could be fascinating and didactive for us all.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Stephen, email me at dnejfelt@faithinpubliclife.org so we can discuss the idea you left in the comment section of our blog.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

Foxy,

How indefinite is this ban of yours at BL.com

Will you ever be allowed to return or will a Free Fox campaign need to be started on your behalf?

I better watch out myself.

I think some are too sensitive to certain words. My Georgia fight song got changed to "to heck with Georgia Tech" Give me a break.

11:16 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Be careful: I don't want to try Flick's patience much longer as it is about exhausted. He has sent me a lengthy review of the incident and is acting by his best lights; but he has not been privy to the phone conversations and 20 odd emails I was gettin from UP this year, much less our often ugly 20 year history.
I do hope he will put UP on the sidelines for my duration. I was voluntarily gonna take a break and UP went bezerk on me, and Flick needed some peace of some sort.
As it stands there is a chance I may be allowed back on in a few months.
What you can do is be dogged, be strong at every turn in the education of Uncle Prentice; join me at www.faithinpubliclife to bring attention to Marsh and Snyder; and press with the wisdom of a serpent while attempting to be harmless as a dove to get me back up in 15 days or so.
This election cycle this fall needs me to help you and Kaylor explain it to the masses at Snyder and Dawson Memorial and elsewhere this fall.
Great blog, you and Kaylor, on Fred Thompson.
Thanks for checking in.
Sfox

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home