My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tunnels and Hymns

I had a good conversation with some theologians recently of the Karl Childers/Will Campbell Stripe.
Trying to figger this morning with the wind blowin outside my window if it was time to change my career from my 7 year framework of interest at bl.com (recently threatened to be overrun by an influx of idiots) I reread a portion of the Pulitzer Prize Winner Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.
I have an autographed copy.
I openned the text and found a great parable about tunnels I had forgotten from my first two readings a couple years ago.
I think I was on pages 58-62.
I commend the parable to all you preachers, harlots, engineers, screenwriters, waterworkers, culinary artists, architects, politicians, bums whores, deacons or whatever your station in the internets world to give it some consideration.
I know I did.

Tunnels and Cormac McCarthy on the priest and the vagrant and the boulder in The Crossing is Pretty Good too.
Stephen Fox

I forgot the hymn

Here is the hymn I was thinkin about on the road to lyberry after my meal at the China House after my reading and ruminations on the tunnel.

It is Emmy Lou"s All My Tears, Track Two of Wreckin Ball.

I think she will sing at my funeral and I also have Who Will sing one Song for me on the playlist and Arvo Part's Requiem.
I think I can have it in the local church if my family pays the 35 dollar non member fee.

2 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

"I commend the parable to all you preachers, harlots, engineers, screenwriters, waterworkers, culinary artists, architects, politicians, bums whores, deacons or whatever your station in the internets world to give it some consideration.
I know I did."

Well I commend this parable to people who blame everyone else for their problems instead of recognizing that they themselves play a part in them -in other words those who refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions-

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie, have you read the parable in the Novel?

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home