My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Slingblade as Scripture; Fox and Billy Bob

Friday Night Moonhead, Carrot Top and I drove in a fog and made a four hour trip out of a 2 and halfer to Florence, Alabama for the Slingblade Reunion.
Billy Bob Thornton, Lucas Black and Linda Wheatley were on stage. Diwght Yoakm as Doyle Hargraves didn't make it.
At first my group didn't think were gonna make it in. Standin out in the cold and snow, our only chance was to make VIP no shows seats. All we had eaten were some ARby's sandwiches we got on coupons. we got to the Shoals area too late for the famous spaghetti over there.
We were despondent.

But the door opened for two and three at a time and we got in; me before the other two.
Inside we waited another 40 minutes before the Stars fell on Alabama. I got separated from group but got my picture taken with some North alabama camera girl before things started. I sat beside a fellow and his mother who had been seated since 4 that afternoon. He got his director's cut autographed when it was over.
I'm gonna give you a link that tells you in what rare form Bbob was.
When it was over BBob himself opened the floor for 5 questions. There were about 1200 people in the audience.
I stood right up and got the second question.

I said Billy Bob, I have been in a room hearing theologians talk about the Old and the New and NOW Testament. In Slingblade, Karl Childers makes repeated references to the Bible. When you were writing the script and making the movie did you feel like there was a sense in which you were creating Scripture, part of the Divine Process?

Billy Bob, said: That is a great, truly remarkable question. I have read the Bible through, all the way through, every word of it two times.
We are all preachers and we are all writers; but I would rather be part of a religion that was like Karl Childers, be the kind of father he picks out for Frank Wheatley, than lot of sancitified judgmental stuff that we all know about.

I'm pretty sure you can get a DVD of the panel from the George Lindsey Film Festival at UNA.edu in Florence, Alabama.

Here are a couple pictures and a story from the event.
Carrot head got his picture with Lucas Black and he was glad he went. It was a religious experience for all of us.
On the way over and back I saw the rockets in Huntsville out on 565, first time in my 20 years in Bama.

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/entertainment/cnhinsentertainment_story_068192541.html?keyword=topstory

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hup.

That blogger lives inside of his own heart. It's an awful big place.

Not funny ha-ha, funny queer.

She's slow, too.

How far'd you say you wanted to walk?

I like a big bush.

It ain't got no gas in it.

Little feller.

I guess you'd dial nine. One. One.

We ain't got no damn band!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Henny said...

It is obvious that you enjoyed yourself immensely and that's great!
I have only one concern, really, with Billy Bob's answer to your question. He says, in part, "We are all preachers and we are all writers; but I would rather be part of a religion that was like Karl Childers, be the kind of father he picks out for Frank Wheatley, than lot of sancitified judgmental stuff that we all know about." I'm not even sure that "sanctified judgmental" makes any sense, but that's not the point.
Wouldn't we all like to be part of an all sweetness and light religion? Wouldn't be a big deal to bring people to God in that situation, would it? Everything is just happy, happy, happy...not having to be judged, not having to be sanctified. That just isn't the way it is though.
Yes, we win more people by our actions, which should be kind, loving and forgiving, but we should not try to live on cotton candy theology and forget the wages of sin.

Henny
www.whatcomesdown.blogpost.com

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also at the event, and our intrepid blogger seems to be "quoting" from memory at best, here.

What Thornton actually replied was more like, "I was kind of saying, 'Who would you rather have father the boy, the great guy who happens to be a homosexual, or the heterosexual who's a drunk and beats the kid?' I've read the Bible twice, and can't say I agree with or understand it all. But that choice seems pretty clear to me."

It was one of Thornton's most emotional moments of the night.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Mr./Miss Moderator-This is the third thread that I have posted this on-the third time that I have tried to get a straight answer from you-Are you going to dodge me again?Or will you "Man Up" and answer my question?


Anonymous said...
" Anonymous said...
"Slingblade teaches eternal truths.
Karl Childers will never die, nor Frank Wheatley.
They will Live For Ever!!!
That is why they are reuniting near Easter.
Get it????"

Okay FoxofBama(If indeed thats your real name-seeing as how you responded to my posts as anonymous)
Exactly what eternal truths does Slingblade teach?I'm very much interested in your responses to this one-


"If you don't want to know nuthin, then I can't help you."

Excuse me Mr.Super Smart blogmaster -let this little small uninformed commentor help you out-the correct spelling is "NOTHING'-NOT nuthin-

4:07 PM

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SFox here:

I am proud to say I got an email reply from Rick Dial today who is Bill Cox in Slingblade
Among other things he said:
"I am always amazed at how the film continues to stir people up when they think about it."
It is always an honor to get a reply from Dial.
He and Billy Bob have been great friends since about the 4th grade and BBob talked Friday about how Dial said he would be glad to be in Slingblade if they could work it around the Month of May cause that is when Dial has the annual Spring Sale at his Furniture store in Arkansas.

sfox

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:02 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

We had a venomous anon trash my delightful exchange with Rick Dial.
I will not have small resentful insecure people trash up my sweet blog.
Whoever you are, go somewhere else with your hatemongering.
You are now deleted

6:15 PM  
Blogger Henny said...

foxofbama, please come back to my blog for some intelligent, adult conversation. No hate speech is allowed there, either.

Henny

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:04 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

I would appreciate it if you make civil comments here on the topic at hand.
As you see I have had to delete a few.
But stick around, I have a comment comin I think from an up and comer.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"
foxofbama said...
I would appreciate it if you make civil comments here on the topic at hand.
As you see I have had to delete a few.
But stick around, I have a comment comin I think from an up and comer"

Oh,what you are saying is that you will comment yourself under Anonymous so as to boost the # of comments here

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home