My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Criswell Condemned as a White Populist

I will come back to this blog soon, but the great news is Curtis Freeman of Duke Div School has negotiated Ezekiel's Wheel as it pertains to the legacy of the misbegotten WA Criswell.

Freeman is best to date to give my friend and Baptist Hero Stewart Newman a Glorious Tribute as an Atticus Finch of Baptist life.

Nixon's Barber's Son, Jim Pitts' great friend, TC Smith, Pitts accompanimist to the funeral of Marshall Frady, where Pitts delivered a tribute on behalf of Will Campbell comes out in fine fashinon in this analysis as well.

The Emperor Criswell never had any clothes and we are one step closer to proving inerrancy and the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC to be the Great Sham it Was.

Just click below on the Freeman PDF for the Journal of Southern Religion Essay; and on any title link for the discussion at Bl.com, some of which compares Criswell to aspects of Jeremiah Wright.





Criswell and Newman; what a Testament
by Stephen Fox on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:24 pm
TD Webb and Flick will be delighted to know it was their Oklahoma Buddy Wade Burleson who had a link to this great article embedded in one of his blogs.It has great deal of the heroism of my Dad's great proff and my friend Stewart Newman in it, in the witness that forever puts Newman in the pantheon of Great Baptists of His time.Great article, and it is now here for us at bl.com
http://jsr.fsu.edu/Volume10/Freeman.pdf
Stephen Fox

Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Newman told My Dad and Me The Story
by Stephen Fox on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 pm
In a Shoney's in Gaffney, South Carolina in 1977. I enjoyed my conversations with Newman that followed



The link is embedded in this discussion already started at Bl.com where a Karen has been lurking every three days according to the profiles there.


About Freeman
http://www.divinity.duke.edu/publications/2006.05/features/third/index.htm

4 Comments:

Blogger John Killian said...

Brother Fox, interesting that Alabama moderate Ralph Langley was quoted in the article as favoring racial segregation.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough, I noticed that as well.
Our friend Mark is in FBC Huntsville now. I think he may have a word for us soon.
I have sent David Currie an email, a cousin of Criswell, hoping to get his take.
Thanks for reading the article and get the word around.
I think you will have to admit, it is a fascinating look.
Only thing he left out was some quotes from Clayton Sullivan in Called To Preach Condemned to Survive.
I am about to post them at bl.com
SFox

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just twenty more days-and counting-

9:32 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

I bet you countin fellow was the one that almost turned 30 yesterday.
You just couldn't do it could you.
Got another year to go.
Vermiculean and what is to come, that is what you should be thinking about instead of countin the days away in April.
But If I have misfired here, then God Forgive me

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home