My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Historic Day for America/Eisenhower's granddaughter

I was getting a little cynical about politics but this afternoon with a call from a relative and watching Cory Booker on PBS Newshour I got stoked.

Come back to this blog soon as I hope to have a link to Booker's great interview on PBS tonight; Booker the star of the Oscar nominated documentary Street Fight couple years ago.
Booker finished Yale Law School as I understand it with Hugo Black's Grandson Stephen. Would be great if they and Caroline Kennedy come to UBama or Samford this fall to have a conversation with Rick Lance of Alsbom, Richard land, and or Charles Pickering and Artur Davis; maybe even Nick Saban who was at Kent State back in 1970 when Neil Young wrote his song.
Have had good conversations with two black friends, highly accomplished, from Gaffney High School the last couple days. They are most good to continue to give me the time of day given the great disparity between our accomplishments the last 40 years.
I am very happy and proud for them on this Historic Day, 40th Anniversary of I Have a Dream and Obama's Acceptance speech.
Please inflect all of this in context of Cory Booker's thoughts. It is much stronger in that context.
Was thinking on way to this blog tonight just yesterday when Donnie Rae Littlejohn on opening night of Gaffney's integrated football team fall of 68 went up in the end zone and intercepted a pass in the Lancaster game.
His wife Elnora was in my Algebra class and his Son Donnie played in Furman's championship game for the National 1a title in 2002.
If you understand Gaffney in the universe of the final essay of Jumpn Jim Crow, then you begin to understand.
Read Charles Marsh; Marshall Frady and Taylor Branch.
I have.
Read Eisenhower tonight quoting Lincoln on King's Historic Day.
Check out Pearl the slave in EL Doctorow's The March, about her Day's in the Ga. Cotton fields having that vision of American Freedom with one Foot already in the Kingdom of God.
I'm no fool. I understand NT Wright and Kingdom Come.
But tonight we have One Foot in the Promised Land with Martin.

Glory Hallelujah.

God Bless America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home