My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Hottest since 1980

Right now accoding to Weather.com it is 99 in Gaffney, South Carolina, though the Ledger says it is 100.
92 in Collinsville, Alabama and 97 in Rome Georgia. Five degrees difference only 45 miles away I can't understand unless you factor in more asphalt in Rome.
Other natural disasters would be the flood of 79 or 81, when my Grandmother Mary Alice Helton Fox called from the Kingston Rd. community of Rome, Ga and said: "Stevie turn it on Channel Five, there's 6 feet of water in the Riverbend Mall."
I said Nanny, we can't get the Atlanta station up here in Knoxville.
She started laughing at herself and it was a great call.
She wouldn't turn her air conditioner on till it got to 95, let that big industrial fan she had in the kitchen do its magic until family members started passing out, or showing signs of wooziness.

In 1980 I got myself down to Rome from Knoxville to have the family tennis tournament with Uncle Free and Prentice and Neil. Nanny--I started to see Papa, but he had died the August before-- had us haulin rock in the mornin in 100 degree heat.
Heat got to us that year; lot of temper tantrums and not much tennis. didn't prove anything about nothin except who was idiot enough to try to stand up in the stuff.

I rememberSoft Cell was singin Tainted Love that year, and the Breakdown, Baby don't Leave me mighta been the work of the Devil's Rhythm section.
A hot summer.

Stones came out with Start Me Up the next year, a revitalizing and renewing number.

2 Comments:

Blogger Georgia Mountain Man said...

Ah, I remember it well. I was in Calhoun, GA at the time and trying to give people tours of New Echota Historic Site, both the hottest and coldest spot in the Oothcalooga Valley. We roasted in polyester dress uniform pants because they wouldn't issue us shorts.

6:03 AM  
Blogger That Baptist Ain't Right said...

1980. Call me the unluckiest teenager in ATL. I took a summer job doing the push mower work for a landscaping company. I made a decision that summer: manual labor was not for me.

1980 was a long, hot summer.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home