My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Buried Aunt Katherine today

My Dad's 2nd oldest sister.
Six Children only two left now, Prentice and Juanita.
Aunt Kat came after Aunt Virginia, then my Dad, the Fremont; all gone now.

Lot of family stories told again, and my brother and sister, joined cousins Tim and Vicky, and Tim's wife Shirley to sing Beulah Land as Aunt Katherine asked.
Proud of my second Cousin Ken who gave a strong testimony about his character of a Grandmother, Aunt Katherine.
If you live in Alabama, North Carolina, Georgia or East Tennessee in the last 100 years, one of us knew somebody who knew you, cause as they say of some clans, we never met a stranger.

Katherine Fox Simmons

http://www.jenningsfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/jennin0/obit.cgi?user=katherinesimmons

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Fox, Condolences to you and your family. One aspect of your blogs that connects with me is the way you describe relationships and a sense of tradional connection to people and places. I find that refreshing and uplifting.

6:02 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Thanks for the kind words Stephen.
I think you will like my next blog on Obama and my hometown paper

1:31 PM  
Blogger Bruce T. Gourley said...

Fox, I also offer my belated condolences to you and your family.

8:23 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Bruce:
Thank you for taking a look at my blog and commenting on Aunt Kat's passing. One of her church memberships was Garden Lakes, Rome Georgia, about three miles west of West Rome Baptist.
Clarence Drummond was her pastor for a time in the thick of the SBC takeover; Drummond a fellow I imagine Buddy Shurden knows pretty well.
It was Drummond who gave me a ride to Atlanta the day I met WPost's Tom Edsall at the 86 SBC.
Aunt Kat and Uncle Paul were waiting in the waiting room at Ft. Payne Hospital when I got there in late Jan 88 to get the news my Mother's cancer was terminal.
That was the silent witness she and Uncle Paul were, even with all their hilarious running Bob Newhart like family episodic entertainments.
As an aside, I would welcome a comment in my beef tip blog above where I reference you in my geneaological site as Luc Sante calls it; the incident of the librarian and BL.com of June 2006.
You rank up there with superstars Randall Balmer, David Flick, Johnny Pierce and William Thornton as folks who at one time or another have commented here and it is an honor.

2:12 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Here is a comment a friend of Aunt Kat's from their time in Charlottesville, Va. made in her honor:

HELEN SAUL
Kim and Ken= WAS SORRY TO LEARN ABOUT KATHERINE. SHE WAS A DEAR AND I OFTEN THINK OF THE GOOD TIMES WE HAD WHEN SHE WAS IN CHARLOTTESVILLE. OUR DEEPEST SYMPATHY TO BOTH OF YOU.


01/26/2009

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home