My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, December 08, 2008

Ron Rash in NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/books/06masl.html?ref=books

I'm on way to see Rash now at book signing in Birmingham.

Having read Serena and two earlier novels, short stories and poems I will say that any public library within two hundred miles of a line from Jackson, Ms on up the Appalachian Trail where it starts near Suches, Georgia; Any Public Library in that area that does not have a copy of Serena in its stacks is unworthy of the name.

And a good many of the literate folks in same area who don't partake of the gift of literacy with a reading of Serena I hold in similar regard.

Read what the Yankees said about it.


See my comments about my conversation with Ron Rash this afternoon.
The daughter of State Librarian for Alabama is head of the Gadsden Public Library. On staff there is a young woman who used to be with the library in Denver Colorado who several years ago read the galleys for One Foot in Eden.
She is a fan.
I think I will send Rebecca Mitchell and Annie Lucas Brown an email tomorrow with link to this blog so we can get Bama's Public Libraries up to speed on Serena.

Here is great link to Columbia State feature on the literary genius of Ron Rash:

http://www.rusoffagency.com/authors/rash_r/theworld/theworld_made_thestate_feature.htm

More tomorrow

4 Comments:

Blogger Georgia Mountain Man said...

Oops. Fox, my local library system doesn't have it. I will talk to our local librarian about that. I'm on the library building expansion committee, so maybe she will help me out. I also tried to put it on hold through our entire state system and the hold wouldn't work. Maybe it's too popular.

I just finished "The World Made Straight."

1:51 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

GMM:

Thanks for the comment.
Go to Hayesville and buy a copy of Rash's book there. Will find a way to get it autographed for you later.
Bookstore owner in Bham today says signed copies are already selling for 100 bucks, so consider it an investment.
You got to read the book and get others to. They will thank you for it.

Had brief conversation with Rash but covered lot of ground from the Textile Strike of 34 to Gaffney SC, Tusquittee and Hanging Dog NC.
He is the genuine article; Lincolnesque with a dose of Walt Whitman and Mark Twain; authentic as Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett and Woody Guthrie.

3:03 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Oh, I emailed Rash your comment here. So you are obligated now to buy a copy of Serena--insert smilie emoticon.
Same time, no kidding, buy a copy; and all yall who see this.

3:14 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Preacher Bolick on page 171 of Serena has a fascinating word from the Lord for folks at Snyder.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home