My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My righteous sister and Peace in Babylon

I have two occasional phone conversations with my sister, three years my junior and an ordained deacon, in the last several months about fundamentalism and peace.
She sat in a discussion with a Christian missionary who said things are ominous in Pakistan.
I can't disagree with his first hand experience; at same time Marion Aldridge of the SC CBF holds out some hope.
http://tinyurl.com/cpdc9j

And then there is Bill Moyers journal transcript of Friday night with Karen Armstrong easily googled up; conceding how she has reconciled some with religious conservatives in her own Christian tradition, at same time saying there is a community within Islam with whom we can dialogue.
She says Islam politically has not had the luxury of 300 years in dialogue with the lessons of the Enlightenment. Take Christian Fundamentalists 500 years ago and not too much difference with the folks who cause us concern in that part of the world now.
I don't have the answers, just proud of Aldridge, Bill Moyers and my sister for shedding some light and engaging the conversation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Georgia Mountain Man said...

Things are very ominous in Palestine. There was a report on the news last night about Israeli soldiers starting to talk about being encouraged to kill Palestinian civilians. Not a good sign for Israel and, thus, our relations with the Muslim world. To many in that part of the world Israel and the US synonymous.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Hans Ostrom said...

I enjoyed your blog very much. Well done. I wonder if you might help solve a mystery. I'm the author of the poem "Emily Dickinson and Elvis Presley in Heaven," and I noticed that you mentioned in a comment on "Georgia Mountains and Beyond" that Kate Campbell had introduced a song on a 2008 CD by reading the poem. Of course, I was astonished and flattered, but I haven't been able to find the recording (I did go to KC's site, etc.) She's a terrific musician. Good luck to you.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home