My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Dad and Atticus Finch

I wasn't gonna put anything up on Father's Day but late in the afternoon it came to my attention some acquaintances were making public statements about their Fathers; Wade Burleson in Particular.
Some family I hear are watching to Kill a Mockingbird tonight.
Malcolm Gladwell took some exception to Atticus notlong ago in the New Yorker, but Julie Lynn among others took exception to him
I almost met Harper Lee's roommate at Auburn once, but she passed away. She was from Gadsden and I'm pretty sure Kathryn Tucker Windham knew her pretty well. Lee's father had an interesting career in the Methodist church I read somewhere.
And my friend Sam Hodges, former book page editor of the Charlotte Observer differs with Gladwell aswell.
Tim Tyson may have legitimacy to differ with Harper Lee or the legend of To Kill a Mockingbirg, but Gladwell didn't know what he was talking about,nor did he understand the milieu.

But it was 1976 when the lesson of Atticus Finch first registered with me. I remember it plainly, my Brother coming home from church and my Dad asking the blessing at the table.
My Brother is goingto Philadelphia tomorrow.

I'm not quite ready to tellmy story just now. I can say physically my Grandfather Jordan had more resemblance to Gregory Peck, as my Dad was kinda rotund; more of the appearance of some character out of a Randy Newman album.
But my Dad was Atticus, Father's Day, 76 and the younger brother was the elder brother but it's all right now; Jesus gonnabe here soonand cover us allwith a blanket; and or we'll be some version of the last scene of The White Ribbon.

I was talkin to a man last night who is takin a group on a civil rights tour through Selma; and four days ago talked to a woman from Poland who was goin to Alabama to see the country side. I gave her David Remnick's book,the Bridge togive her some understanding of Selma.
I was gonna be there with Hillary and Bill and Barack and John Lewis in 2007, but the car wouldn't start.
A Major regret; one that mattered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home