My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

On Down HWY 29 from Gaffney

I keep thinking about other stories and conversations I woulda like to have had last week at my 40th HS reunion in Gaffney. An earlier graduate, Cleve Callison has blogged about HWY 29.
Some time ago I was fascinated with a story about Winder Ga, in fact read it in Knoxville Tn in early 80's, the library copy of the Atlanta Constitution.
Just last night picked up a memoir about Statham Ga, 8 miles north of Winder and the home of Richard Russell; Russell for better or worse mentor to LBJ and the man for whom the Senate Office building is named in Washington, D.C.
Long time sports writer for Bham News Clyde Bolton has written charming memoir about his boyhood days there. You can change the names and switch a little around here and there and strong resemblance to stories 30 years later in my times in Gaffney.
Here is a post I left a few minutes ago on blog of a bookstore in Winder:

Up HWY 29 in Gaffney, South Carolina is where I attended my 40th HS Reunion last Friday. And two days ago I laid eyes for first time on Bolton’s memoir about Statham. I am online friends of the pastor of the FBC there and called him this morning.
He was unaware, but I think Bolton has a new reader.
My Dad was born in 1922 and grew up in Rome, Ga. He died in 99. He woulda loved this book. His stories about Rome, are of same cadence and topic of good bit of Bolton; and all the baseball and high school gym chatter I feel like I was sittin on my Grandfather’s front porch all over again.
I was disappointed not to see any mention (unless I missed it) of the Richard Russell home just down 29 from Bolton’s childhood home. But Bolton is transparent; almost like reading Mark Twain goes to Winder or something.
I’m gettin the word out, and hopin to massage myself into Bolton’s graces and have lunch with him, just down the road from my current home in NE Bama, take the 40 minute ride down to Trussville and chat with Bolton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home