My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, October 07, 2011

Oxford American Magazine of March 2001

I have a copy laying around the house and picked it up yesterday. What a jewel.
Passing of James Dickey was the cover story. Just this last year had an exchange with his daughter Bronwen about Lake Jocassee in Oconee County, S.C.
And my friend Ron Rash, had a poem in that issue The Request

Charles Marsh's book The Last Days was reviewed in that issue and John Grisham was the publisher. John Grammer did the Marsh review, using the word fretful exquisitely.

The Gifted teacher for Dekalb County and her son and I tried to get a subscription going to the Collinsville Public Library early in that decade. One of my friends at the time had a son who was in English department at Ole Miss and he was a big fan as well. But it didn't work out.

For a while NACC had a subscription and the Gadsden Public Library. I hope those two will renew soon, and Jeff Graves, Jill at the utility board, Martha Barksdale and Danny Barber's wife not to mention whats left in the county of the Gilbreath strain will have access in the renovated G.W. Roberts building downtown near the RR Track.

If we do I'll get word to my friend Ron Rash, and maybe he can get John Grisham to take notice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home