My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, May 18, 2012

59 years of Stevie

1953, May 18 was when I was born. In Newport Tennessee where my Dad Baptized Brownlow Sams and Freddie James among others. Took me three trips to get on a computer today, and then I changed from 2 to 3 but here I am. I don't feel well. About every 3-5 years pollen takes me down. Once in Floyd County Ga bout 83 It became hard to breathe and Nanny Fox and her friend Lola Ingalls bout lost me. Then over here in Bama about 94 it was touch and go but the late Dr. Smeltzer of Centre, Alabama prescribed me back into the living. And 1990 was bad. This year just the mullygrubs and I have I can stave it off. Some friends called and texted in, and just a few minutes ago I had fascinatin conversation with a neighbor of Casey Mattox Allied Defense Fund boss, Charles Pickering. Left my email address. Hope to here from them. Neighbor is a nice fellow checkin the HWY 11 Yard sales. I told him about Bonhoeffer and mentioned Judge Frank Johnson on the fly. Frank Harrington preached once about the Man in Full whose success was driven to see the "Light in his Mother's Eyes." Miss Chadwick wrote in my 1971 Senior HS annual: "No need to wish you success; it's a given." Several folks younger than myself whom Ive gotten to know and shared that sentiment make good sport of me on occasion. Didn't quite work out like Miss Chadwick prophesied; but I have had a few moments. Saw the light several occasions before my Mother died and I take some consolation in that. And every once in a while I come across what Padgett Powell called the "divine utterance." And I spoke to James Wood once at the Sewanee Writer's conference and just last week Tupelo Hassman said some kind words on Facebook. Schopenhauer got it right, and then there is Marilynne Robinson, Cormac McCarthy and Ron Rash; the testimony of Stewart Newman and Marshall Frady a good brother and sister and some friends along the way. Next year, the big 60, think I'm gonna find some running water and rebaptize myself for what remains. 3:44 EDT; 15 miles North of Collinsville, Alabama, May 18, 2012 Also happy Birthday to Tommy Jones, Pope John, Jane Esselmeyer, Karen West and Tina Fey.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lifelong Learner said...

Hope you feel better soon.
Jeff

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home