My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Sweet Billy's 90th Birthday, May 3

My Dad was born May 3, 1922. Billy Dan Fox; in Alcoa Tennessee. He was the son of Mary Alice Helton and W. D. Willie Dan Shorty Fox. He had a brother and three sisters. He was a Baptist preacher. His friend Bobby Crocker, a preacher in Draytonville Community of Gaffney, S.C. named him Sweet Billy in the late 60's cause Dad was a kind hearted fellow. I was gonna say a lot about him but the day got away from me. I have linked a tribute at baptistlife.com/forums in the Faith and Practice section. My Dad was big Boston Red Sox Fan. In fact, that's him, last fellow at bat in the movie Moneyball. About the last week we lived in Gaffney, I made one last trip with him to the Community Cash on the corner of Buford Street and Limestone. There was a Black woman, I didn't know her, on the sidewalk in front of the store. I decided to talk to her while my Dad went in for a couple items. There had been some things in the paper as we had lived there for 16 years. I asked her if she knew Billy Fox; asked her twice. She Said: "I know that man, I know that man. He's a friend of the rich and the poor the Black and the White." And so he was. In 84 or so in the small room my grandparent had made into an entry room and extra bedroom with a Fireplace on Morrison Campground Road we watched video of the Black Gospel documentary Say Amen Somebody. You should see it. Last Song starts out I am bound for Caanan's Land. And so he was and he's there now. Song ends with a recitative of the word Hallelujah. Amen

1 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

My Dad had two brothers. Uncle Fremont was a great man; his remains now in Arlington.
A late brother, born about ten years after the rest of the family, is now retired in Aberdeen, N.C.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home