My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Albert Blackwell, Mars Hill and Hardware store on Poinsett

   Gonna quote a paragraph from my fall 72 Furman Religion proff Albert Blackwell October 8, 1990 lecture at Furman in the LD Johnson What Really Matters series. Dr. Blackwell introduced me to Schleiermacher. I did some serious thinking just a year after intro to religion class with Chick Fil A's Dan Cathy.
    In 76 or so I went up to visit my sister at Mars Hill College and had the good fortune to have a conversation with Albert's Mom and Dad. I think my friend Ron Rash will like this paragraph, as Mars Hill is the setting for his recent novel The Cove.
   Few years ago I had some email exchanges with Dr. Blackwell on Rash's first novel One Foot in Eden. Albert is a fan, found One Foot in Eden elemental. I hope to hear his thoughts on the Cove soon.

     From What Really Matters:

      {Blackwell earlier talked about "prodigious amount of time trying to remedy mechanical ills"}

     If anyone is interested, you can find a clue to this compulsive behavior on my part in Auld Hardware, that wonderful relic of another century at the joining of Rutherford Road and Poinsett Highway. Ask the proprietor, Al, to show you the octagonal rotating bolt case at the back of the store--the one with a small brass nameplate reading "A. R. Brown, Erwin, Tennessee, Patented May 7, 1901." Albert Rosecrans Brown was my grandfather. He spent his early career as a traveling salesman, driving his buggy over Eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, taking orders for W.W. Woodruff & Company, Wholesale Hardware, of Knoxville. Later, he established and operated a general store in Erwin., A.R. Brown and Company. My mother, Olive, worked fin the family store office and tells me that my grandfather's favorite department was always hardware. And so, as we say, I come by my compulsion naturally.

  End of Quote.

   If you are fond of such good anecdotes, you should google Blackwell on Isacc Watts and Science. This little paragraph is a gem. I felt compelled to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home