My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, March 11, 2013

For Aunt Kathryn, my Dad's sister

Aunt Kathryn was a big fan of Lewis Grizzard. Turns out the current editor of the Ft. Payne Alabma Times Journal is as well and did a column about Grizzard a week or so ago. He was kind enough to publish my letter in Saturday's paper:


The Editors:

I found editor Clemons tribute to Lewis Grizzard a few days ago sparking lot of memories. I liked Grizzard but always thought of Decatur Georgia's Roy Blount to be a better humorist, had a little more substance for the thinking Southerner.
Still Lewis was a card. And upon his recommendation I found myself at Sprayberry's BBQ in Newnan a few years ago. Didn't quite match up to my favorite, Bridges in Shelby, N.C. but the Brunswick stew was first rate.
In early 80's I was living in Rome Georgia, where a sister of one of GRizzard's interests was married to an influential Baptist preacher. Grizzard wrote a tribute published in the Atlanta Constitution about their Mother, who was a big Auburn fan. And word got out he was their guest at Thanksgiving Dinner in those days. Well you never have seen a more proud fundamentalist Baptist preacher in all your life than the fellow was who had Grizzard for his guest.
Before he died Grizzard had married a woman he found at what he called the Peachtree Street Opera House. I think she wore his favorite red dress to the funeral.
He and his cousin Ludlow Porch had some great stories. One of my faves was about the time a stick of dynamite got lit and tied to the dog's tail. He ran under the barn and blew it up. Ludlow said Thank God he didn't run under the house!!!
My fellow Furman alum humorist and short story writer George Singleton carries on with the tradition. The title of his best known collection of stories says it all: "Half Mammals of Dixie."
God Bless Em All, as Singleton says with another title, These People Are Us.

3 Comments:

Blogger smokinq72 said...

Two things:
Lewis was great in person. Back in the past, I saw him at the Von Braun Civic Center in Huntsville. He was gracious and told us in the crowd that Huntsville knew how to make him feel at home, they had the roads tore all to hell, just like Atlanta. One of my favorite columns that he wrote was about Auburn.

As far as BBQ, I am a certified BBQ judge with both the Memphis Barbecue Network (mbnbbq.com) and Kansas City Barbecue Society (kcbs.us). The past two weekends I have judged a contest in Columbus, MS and Memphis, TN.
I have not eaten at Bridges, but I highly recommend Memphis Barbecue Company in Horn Lake MS, located on Goodman Road at I55. Owners of the restaurant are Memphis in May Champions and one of them just won the Kingsford Invitational (broadcast on Destination America). This is a link to the article: http://www.memphismagazine.com/Blogs/Memphis-Stew/March-2013/Watch-Melissa-Cookston-and-the-Yazzos-Delta-Q-Win-Kingsford-Invitational-BBQ-Competitionn-on-Destination-America/index.php

10:24 AM  
Blogger smokinq72 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:25 AM  
Blogger smokinq72 said...

Just a follow up: http://www.grillingwithrich.com/results-from-the-2012-first-annual-kingsford-invitational#.UUnweLJlSWY

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home