My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

In Selma for the 50th Celebration

   I was in Selma Saturday to see President Obama and Bush and Laura for the 50th anniversary. Got there about 11:30 and then was told the President wouldn't be speaking till about 3pm Eastern time that afternoon.
    Crowd estimates are there were between 60 and hundred thousand people there. Judging from what I saw for ten city blocks covered with parked cars and busses parked three miles away I'm guessing upwards of 100 thou on Sunday at a minimum; exponentially more than when I was there in 2012 for the Sunday march across the Bridge, and that was a big Crowd with Ethel Kennedy, Dick Gregory and the daughter of Viola Liuzzo present.
    Truth is I never saw President Obama though was only a block and half away on Water Street. Did make it down to the park to see the Bridge about 300 yards away. If my party had stayed another 30 minutes we coulda seen the President's group walk across; but we didn't know at the time that was the plan.


   Talked to a lot of people on the corner of Alabama Street and Water or some street near the Bridge. Had great conversation with a Ga Tech football player from the early 80s that was on team with Robert Lavette and the team that Bill Curry coached in one of the great eras of Tech football. Had a chat with fellow from Conyers Georgia now at Savannah St; history major. I recommended some books to him.  Talked to Civil Rights pilgrimage groups from Boston, Wake Forest and SMU and a beautiful 30 something German proff from Tuscaloosa who was there with some family friends from Germany.


   Talked to a fifth grader from Wares Elementary in Montgomery there with her mother and other family. Her school fundraiser tee said: "Bloody Sunday helped Bridge the Gap for me."


    I called her congresswoman Marsha Roby 's DC Staff Monday and told them to look this girl up. She's headed in the right direction.


   I've seen the movie Selma a few times and done my reading over the years from Marshall Frady to Taylor Branch, to David Garrow, Charles Marsh and Paul Harvey's Moses Jesus and the Trickster.


   I was thinking of my bi-racial committee in Gaffney in 71 and those first three years of integration there over the weekend and the effect it had on my Mother and father and their days at Bethany Baptist Church.


   Also was proud to be there for Furman connected people Martin England, TC Smith, Jim Pitts and L. D. Johnson. England AND  Smith were in Selma in 65; and I think England is in a pic with me in the Furman annual of 72.


   So was big weekend and big event. May say more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home