My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 in review: "It's all so fuckin hysterical"

  This was is a work in progress so check back in in ten days or so. I got some more to say   

For the record the f bomb was frowned on in my house growing up and I didn't cuss at all till I was about 25. But most people in Gaffney didn't understand what you were talking about especially in commerce and politics unless you were versed in the dark language. I remember the first time I heard the word. I was in about the fourth grade and a black kid about 3 years older over on New Street came out with it. Ricky Bailey and Barry Moore had heard it but was new one for me.

    I asked about it at supper that night. Lot of silence, can't remember an attempt to define, but it was clear not a word that was to be uttered in our house.

    But as earlier blogs have discussed this is the year the country was Rattfucked and Donald Trump became President of the United States and Franklin Graham said it was less Putin's hacks as it was an "act of God". That is why it's all so fuckin hysterical.

   Some of you I'm sure know the phrase from Connor before he became James Bond in the Tom Hanks and Paul Newman Road to Perdition of about 15 years ago, a great movie in my book as is this year's Manchester by the Sea. Fuck em if they don't give Casey Affleck the Oscar on that one.

     My friend Bill Leonard got it right today in his piece in Baptist News about the Wind Up Jesus. Google that one. Will Campbell and Jonathan Daniels. Ive lost two facebook friends in the last 36 hours trying to explain how Adrian Rogers and WA Criswell got us to this Trump moment. And research the life and career of the Baptist bastard James Deloach who did the bidding of Jesse Helms in getting rid of my Dad's classmate Randall Lolley at Southeastern Seminary.

   Rick and Bubba don't have a damn clue neither does Cliff Simms of Bama's Yellowhammer News but they are ridin high now thinking the pussy grabber is the second coming of Jesus.

     Well lets move on. I kept my head above water for the most part last year and kept despair at bay. Leon Russell died and Leonard Cohen and Muhammad Ali and every year it is ever more apparent I'm gonna die too. What was it Ziggy Stardust, who also left us last year, said: When the world is spinning down, you take the rest of what's still around." With Leonard Cohen's Broken Bell gonna do my best to put one foot in front of the other this next year and shed a little light where I can and damn the darkness when needs be.

      http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/leonard+cohen/the+bells_20589877.html

   I fell off my bicycle back in January. Embarrased myself in downtown Collinsville but didn't break anything. Bled a little so I went to the bench across from the Barbershop to give the Historical Society a little banter for the next meeting.


  I had 8,865 hits on my blog last month. so somebody is reading and I feel a compulsion to get more sanity out there for my audience (ha)


   Was a good year for Martha Barksdale as you see back in July in the apotheosis blog. I congratulate her for that. The Lighting of the Cricket Marquee was a good day for Collinsville. I hope we can get Mark Wilson to the theatre for a much needed conversation about Trump and the Daughters of the Confederacy, maybe a group read of Kathy Cox, Dixie's Daughters.

   At years end caught Manchester by the Sea and Jackie. Mrs Kennedy Onassis did not smoke as she makes clear in the film but she did remember everything. Her conversations with the Priest are as good as Fleming Rutledge sermons and a good Marilynne Robinson essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home