My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Remedial reading list for the MDuren network/great reference

I have been having lot of fun for the better part of the day scrounging around over at www.sbcoutpost.com making new friends, Marty, Amy, Sarah and Dorcas. Like Jonathan at Baptistlife.com, BobK of Scottsboro Alabama--Bob, almost smoked you out today talking to some women at Calvary church who were on expedition and stopped at the CBarrel--fundies, the good citizens they are, honest tithers etc;--just don't have the time or inclination to read much. However that doesn't stop the pontificatin in cyberspace anymore than it stops it on the Mainstreet of Collinsville Alabama where lot of stir craziness can get you a street named for yourself.
But here, for the reference for folks who should know already, as well as for the throngs of seculars and unitiated that are gonna be storming this blog (LOL) over the next few years to get a context on Frank Page is the scoop.
Really it is no big secret. Just go to any half assed library even in Alabama and check the BX 6400 line. You should have about 12 books there on SBC politics culture, anthropology and Karl Rove and Richard Land.
I got footnoted in two of them, make that three so they deserve top billing
Barry Hankins Uneasy in Babylon
David Morgan The New Crusaders
Oran Smith: The Rise of Baptist Republicanism
Michelle Goldberg's Kingdom Coming. She don't footnote me but we've had some email exchanges me and half her stuff Don Wilkey and I been hawking for about 15 years; she acknowledges Wilkey's help

And here recently Kevin Phillips puts a lot of it in perspective in his 20 odd pages in two different sections of his American Theocracy; including lot of insight he doesn't know where he got and that being Herryman's Southern Cross.
Keep going with Harold Bloom's American Religion; especially before you get too excited about Mitt Romney and the expose in today's Boston Globe about the trouble he is gonna face in the SC Primary
And before that was Nancy Ammerman who witnessed my exchange with Judge Pressler in San Antonio in 88 and before Stewart Newman and before him George Truett in whose namesake church I got saved.

How many folks from Durenland can honestly say they know who Marshall Frady is? I doubt more than two, unless it is the Duren himself; cause I got to give it to his friend up the road, William Thornton, who knew Yates.
Yall are nice people. I give you everything James Ault gives you, cause pretty much you are all I know anyway. Even so it is interesting to see ourselves in some perspective, and Phillips is a good place to start.
If you can't make it to Barnes and Noble tonight, then google up Bill MOyers great "A Time For Heresy" and Randall Balmer's Jesus is Not a Republican; the latest of which I have linked at Marty's active sight, andhere in Wade's world on this blog.
More books as I come to them; but for the most part they are all there, in the BX 6400's.
Look for Nelson Price to have a fire sale on em as soon as he clears Rob Nash out later this summer at Shorter.

2 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

8:8: I don't know if you are funnin me or not, but if not God Bless you and thanks. I think you will enjoy the books, good chance you have read a good many of them anyway.
Just in case Durenland starts to monitor my board, I do hope he or whomever will take the trouble to google up E J Dionne's great political obit yesterday in the Washington Post. I hope to talk to Bill Rauch of Beaufort SC about it all soon, and hoping my friends at Baps Today have the prudence and good sense to get Dionne in next issue.
Talked to Greg Meadows at Trade Day today aboutthis and that, mostly this.
As a reminder to myself, Regencydotnet.
8:8 you must get in touch with my Dukey friend. He is trying to find his way as well. Saw his MOm and had pleasant exchange, but I fear she is still "LOST". Up With People just doesn't cut the gut issues like Tim Tyson and My Momma did.
Saturday, as in the Next Day was a Saturday from the Man Who Wasn't There.

9:44 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

7678
Numbers for future link for ED.com on SBC's lack of Christians

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home