My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Sundance, Brett Morgen and Collinsville, Alabama

Big news compliments of my collaborator Russ Beene in a phone call last night.
Brett Morgen's documentary The Chicago 10, is the opening film for the Sundance Film Festival, January 2007
http://festival.sundance.org/2007/

First congrats to Brett Morgen, my favorite secular Jew. And no, he is not the only Jew in my acquaintance. I am also a fan of Rabbi Miller of the Temple in Birmingham, and of course there were the Bernsteins in Gaffney, South Carolina, Dick and Ethel. My Dad has a good joke about the Jewish grocer in Rome Georgia in the 1940's. I hope to tell it to Brett later next year when all the lollapalooza settles down.
Brett said his favorite song from the Collinsville Baptist Church when he filmed here was "Footsteps of Jesus."
Took me two years or so to get it. I thought he just liked the tune. We got along fairly well for a Baptist preacher's son and a smart set Bicoastal Yankee of the Jewish persuasion.
It was the fall of 1991 when I met Brett downtown Collinsville. He was touring the country for locations for his first documentary, Blessings of Liberty. At first he meant to do it on three small towns, but due to technical problems in January 1992, here in Collinsville--his 30,000 dollar camera blew up best I remember--he decided to do the whole film here and stayed for three weeks instead of one as he had originally planned.
Thus that is how Bill Cook and I became stars. Cook, the legendary barber in our small berg, got a lot of camera time and I got to debut my yellow windbreaker, and got a consultant credit though I also got two xx's on my last name instead of the real me, Stephen One X Fox.
Brett and a codirector were nominated for Oscar for their 1999 On The Ropes; and he did a film on Ollie North's mid 90's run for Senate from Virginia. His circa 2001 film Kid Stays in the Picture, about the 70's producer Robert Evans was critically acclaimed.
I called Brett's office last night and told them I would be blogging today, so there is a good chance they will see this.
So to Brett and Alison of C-7 Films, and all the current production company, and to Jordan Thau and Sam Dylan (Bob's Son), and Jessica and Doug and Lee of BOL, and all who worked with you on this and other projects, AGain, Big Time congrats.
Like the Sundance Committee, we are "excited" about the debut of your film and may it make waves now and to come.
Stephen Fox
Collinsville, Alabama
Friday, Nov. 17, 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger UKPONDSIDE said...

Hey Yall, I know this blog is old as all get-up, but I have a question. Just today, I ran across information that Mr. Brett 'BigScreen' Morgen made a docu in Collinsville Alabama in 1991/1992. I was born and bread in C'ville, and my 'late' mother was Mildred Maxine Kerley...R.I.P. Booty! Anyway, I have been away in England, UK for 20+ years, and I would love to have information on how I could acquire a copy of the docu that Brett shot in C'ville back then. As I understand it, he shot the majority of the docu in Pleasant Grove Baptist Church... Yep, I was Baptised there many years ago! I'm really excited to maybe have a chance to obtain this docu, as undoubtedly, Mamma would have been the star of that show..lol! It would just be sooooo cool to show my kids, her grandkids, her 15 mins of 'FAME'! With Brett now on the national Film Making scene, it would be excellent if he would shed some insight on the 'making of the C'ville docu'. Anyway, my name is Kenneth DeWayne Kerley, and like I said, I have vested interest in gaining an original copy of this docu. You can contact me at either of the following email addresses:

kerley_7@yahoo.co.uk
kenneth.kerley@hp.com

Upon contact, I will be willing to give you my direct telephone number.

Thank You In Advance,

Ken

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home