My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"My adrenalin was goin.....

Maybe I was runnin a little faster than usual" said this McArthur kid in the win at Calhoun, Georgia yesterday.

Charlie Culberson got the win. Had baseball writer David Halberstam not died a month ago in the car crash in Berkley, I woulda tried to get word to him about it.
Halberstam wrote Culberson's distant cousin Leon up; wrote him up in the heart tattering memoir The Teammates; about the time Culberson goes in for Joe Dimmagio's brother Dom in the 46 Series between the BoSox and St. Louey Cards.
Enos Country Slaughter stole home.
I went south of this playoff game yesterday by about 15 miles. Had I been heads up, I think I woulda rerouted from Liberty South Carolina where I understand they have a good spaghetti buffet, and I caught the game.
Here are the necessary links for the larger picture. Cormac McCarthy is in there cause his last great novel covered by James Wood in current TNR.com talks about Tellico Plains, just over the ridge. McCarthur, Culberson and Furman football coach Nephew Lamb could walk right off the field and be characters in several McCarthy novels with Lucas Black and whomever.

Click on these

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/680/public/news810216.html

http://www.conversationalreading.com/2007/05/james_wood_on_t.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/03/book/sp_books_halberstam052003.htm

And my exchange with Halberstam in Spring of 03

Attalla, Ala.: My dad died in '99. He loved the Red Sox. The All Star game in '90s when Yaz had retired and was coaching third base, my dad stands up watching the TV when they announced Yaz's name and started crying.
You're a great guy and I understand you knew Will Campbell as cub reporter doing the Civil Rights gig.
I Read "Breaks of the Game" and "Playing for Keeps" and will read this one. Thanks for your great work.
Stephen Fox, Collinsville, Ala., posting from a library in Attalla

David Halberstam: You're lucky that you had a father who cared so much about a team that does such a good job of breaking hearts. I've got a great friend, Marty Nolan, former editor of the editorial page of the Boston Globe, than who there is not a more devoted Red Sox fan. And he was the one who came up with the great saying of the Red Sox, "They killed my father, and now they're coming after me."








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home