My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, September 28, 2007

No drugs at Furman

A former president of Furman University, John E Johns has died. Memorials are being posted in steady tribute at a site at www.furman.edu
Johns came the fall, a month after I officially graduated though I count 75 as my class. Here is one of the more memorable tributes.
Johns was also the President of Stetson. So in the Baptist aspect of his career he ran the table as president of the alma mater of not only Marshall Frady; but at Stetson, Adrian Rogers and Bill Self.


Post your comments > "No drugs at Furman"
Coming from Boston, my father was pleased with my choice of college when during a freshman orientation speech at Macalister Auditorium in 1986, Dr. Johns bellowed in a fine southern drawl, "If you came to Furman to do drugs, then get back in your car with your mommy and daddy and go home!" Dr. Johns promised my parents a drug free learning environment, and for the most part, Dr. Johns delivered a clean campus and he kept the focus at Furman on learning. I saw alcohol on campus, but never in four years did I see any illegal drugs on campus, and I was in a fraternity. Dr. Johns set the tone that Furman was a place for people of high character and he helped us young people develop into adults with integrity. I was lucky to watch Dr. Johns lead by example. "FU ALL THE TIME!!!" Dr. Johns. RIP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home