My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Conflating Balmer, Killian; Mead and Colson in the Public Square

Dear Friends:

I may be tackling something outside my pay grade, or impossible to square, reconcile here, but please give me credit for attempting to do some heavy thinking.

Hope to get some links up for you soon, but almost all of this is easily googled up.
How do you influence the public square on religion and politics trying to hold up for consideration things as disparate and ripe for misappropriation as

Cuurent feature online analysis of Faith as a foundation for Liberty and Progress in American Interest Magazine by Russell Mead.
Chuck Colson bent toward the transcendent in an August Christianity Today while holding up Francis Schaeffer's abortion issue as the non negotiable for a Christian's voting calculus.
Notre Dame Proff feature oped of a Monday two weeks ago in http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/09/our-real-nation.html#more
My fundamentalist friend http://www.johnkillian.blogspot.com/ today; his reservations about the Creation views of Former Ark Gov and Baptist Preacher Huckabee.

How do you put all that in the context of first tier thinkers like Balmer, Charles Marsh and Charles Kimball and come out with a winning political formula that say would take the day in Alabama.

Hugo Black's grandson Stephen has things in proper perspective in his Oped Yesterday, Sept 23 in the Bham Post Herald.
But convincing an otherwide good man and my friend John Killian of the proper calculation of Jesus politics; it's a hard thing to do.
One of Carlyle Marney's mentors told him you have to continue to bless those who cannot or will never misunderstand.
I guess that may be good news for my friend Lowell Barron and Alfa, but it isn't helping me sleep at night.
I have brought some of it to the attention of http://www.faithinpubliclife.org/ and Melissa Rogers; I don't know what else to do.

Sfox

Come back for better links

http://www.the-american-interest.com/ai2/article.cfm?Id=324&MId=15

http://www.al.com/opinion/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/opinion/1190536285112250.xml&coll=2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home