My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Spurrier, Federer and Ping Pong

I can't afford a yard man, but can't afford a new lawnmower either, so my neighbor Robert does some touch up work in a some ditches and culverts around my "estate" in NE Alabama I can't get to with my clickety clack ridin mower.
Like myself, Robert is a big talker with lot of grand tales about various folks he has been a handyman for including a major donor down the Highway, retired Doctor, who is a serious benefactor of Emory University.
Robert has one daughter with a Master's Degree and some other members of the family who have done well, including pride for his own fame as a running back of Etowah HS in the mid 70's, home of the Bama QB Freddie Kitchens and some Auburn QB whose name I forget, Patrick Nix or the other guy.
Well Robert is up cutting around this morning before I get out of bed, so I have get up early to pay him. We get to talking. Turns out his nephew,Tyrone Nix is the defensive Coordinator for the Wild Man himself, Steve Spurrier who had the good sense to Recruit and Coach Gaffney's Sidney Rice for Two years.
Robert's nephew, Tyrone is Robert's brother Preston's Son. Robert's other brother Joe played football also, but Robert says he, Robert, was the best of the Three Brothers. He had a cap on this morning Tyrone brought him from Carolina.
In Addition to Robert, within 500 yards of all us is a close relative of Major Ogilvie and another neighbor kin to a UBama all American.
When I told Robert one of my good friends in Gaffney wrote a script that starred Kareem Abdul Jabbar and another starring the aging Rams Great Fred Williams, Robert thought it was all too much; but like Jack Nicholson's character says in Ironweed: "It's All True."


http://www.newsday.com/sports/tennis/ny-spomen105368411sep10,0,5108377.story
USA Today and other papers I haven't checked yet have covered yesterday's US Open Tennis Final pretty thoroughly. Here is my two cent to a nickle's worth on that.
Djokovic up three set points, 40-0 in the first shoulda served his first serve the next four attempts. Shoulda gone for broke. If he didn't ace Fed or set up easy volley and lost the two points to 40-30 he coulda played his 2nd serve at that point instead of giving FEd breathing room.
I love Federer. He's my #2 all time best ever behind Johnny Mac who I think ages and equipment equal, Mac wins cause of his game day savvy and strategy.
That's beside the point for yesterday however. On their best day Federer takes Joko 3 of 4 sets everytime; and Fed wasn't having his best day yesterday.
CBS and the NFL is partly to blame. I like football, but the jock drunks fans ought to take a break every once in a while and let grace and civility take the day. Game didn't start till 4:50 PM in the afternoon, not a good time for anybody to begin anything.
Let the finals of the US Open commence at 2PM or 7PM. Let the Best play at their best in the Best time of the day. Gives all the Bud fans out there plenty of afternoon to get good n soused and garble their BS and talk about their HS injuries.
Let the beautiful and graceful people have their time. Deniro and the Rain Man don't come out for every occasion and when they do it's for a reason.

I took a break after the 2nd and walked around a mall where I came upon a ping pong match in the foyer of a multiplex. Young manager was using it as a morale booster for his employees.
Well I got ups and talked my self into a free matinee ticket--was thinking 3:10 to Yuma for later in the week--if I won. Shoulda a been a cakewalk but my depth perception was off from the parking lot window behind my opposition. He went up 19-8 but I got my bearings and kicked in at Point-11 where in Bama lowman gets to serve it out. I started clickin but 21-17 was as far as I got. You can do the Math, I won NIne of the last 11 points but the Manager didn't buy my case so I got to pay for 3:10 to Yuma when I see it.
Maybe I can borrow the money from Robert, or somebody at IPTAY out there may want to buy us both a ticket.--Insert smilie emoticon and have a nice day.

SFox
Tried out for All State Trombone in 1970, but never made it past the county round.
Lost to Mary Anne Kesecker's boyfriend in the 5th bracket of the state HS Tennis Tournament in Columbia S.C., May 1970. Got my name in the Gaffney Ledger. Made a headline; still got the clippin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

Foxy,

I'm about to begin some prelim research on Hugo Black. I know you're a big fan.

Do you know IF Hugo Black was active in Alabama Baptist circles or in the denominational work of the SBC?

I'm trying to gauge his level of involvement in Baptist affairs.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home