My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, January 04, 2008

Mita testifies

One of the Biggest Hits today at the NY Times is an Article "Two Buck Huck" about the classfare in the GOP the asendancy of Baptist Preacher Mike Huckabee is causing.
I don't know if HBee is Presidential Timber, but I'm enjoyin the stir.
I met Huckabee in Upstate South Carolina the Sunday after Thanksgiving and he's a Nice guy; affable and disarming. I liked what he said about the Dream Act at the time; even told him he ought to hook up with Randy Owen if we still viable when he got to Alabama.
The Gov said he's jammed once with Randy or Teddy. I think he said Randy. He kinda lit up at the politics of the Thought.

But this NY Times article has gotten 250 something comments in 24 hours.
I like What Mita had to say, never using summer as a verb.

So here is What Mita said in the NY Times. I copy and Post cause I am impressed with her spunk and I am delighted she is a fellow/sister citizen in this great Country of OUrs.

MITA:

215.
January 4th,200810:24 am
Mr. Egan,
I sincerely hope that all the high-falootin’ intellectuals such as yourself can take a moment to reflect on this for as long as you can stand the thick air down here in the lowlands…
One thing that makes this country great is that, as our Constitution so eloquently puts it, that all men are created equal… a concept rooted in republicanism, which stands as the basis for our system of government.
Apparently you don’t agree with that concept and seem to have an issue with certain classes of people. Maybe that is just my perception… but I am basing this assumption on your tone and seeming disdain for Huckabee…
Is there some sort of “class” litmus test for high office holders that I am unaware of? Some sort of manners class they should hold a certificate from? Perhaps all potential office holders should have to post a listing of their china patterns (in case there are any selections from the dreaded WalMart… which should apparently automatically disqualify said candidate from running.) Oh, I know… anyone who has eaten wild game not served at the local country club on a bed of wild rice (with a lovely demi-glace sauce) is not qualified to run for office!
For those of us “lower-income” types who are not concerned with keeping up with the Kennedys, I’ve never put much stock in the social position of any candidate, and indeed tend to be more suspicious of a moneyed (not merely rich, but loaded) candidate running for office. I would rather elect someone from a “low income” background who has common sense, and not someone from family who routinely hires commoners to do their manual labor. My family never used the word “summer” as a verb, either.
I take very much into consideration whether I think someone will be able to do a good job of governing based on their past performance and their character, regardless of their family or economic background or the color of their skin.
The only real concern that I would ever have over someone cooking a squirrel in a popcorn popper is that if they don’t seal the meat in a paper bag or foil pouch, it will have the tendency to get too dry. (Personally, I prefer wild rabbit or rattlesnake. Squirrel from areas with lots of evergreens tend to taste a bit like pine-sol). And now that I know that it CAN be done, I think I just may go out in my garage and dig out the popcorn popper I’d packed up and finally rid my attic of the pesky varmint that’s been living there.
— Posted by Mita

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it that delights you so about Mita?

She doesn't even appear to understand the story on which she's commenting. She critiques a story about how the Republicans are finally facing class warfare within their own ranks by countering with her own arguments in favor of her side of the battle over that of the rich "intellectuals."

She makes only about as much sense as you do, I guess, so there is THAT connection.

And those of us who aren't Republican and still have a difficult time taking Huckabee seriously don't dismiss him because of his lack of liquid capital, but because of his almost total dirth of intellectual capital. He seems to wallow in his ignorance - as do many of his supporters, as well.

Are YOU one of these supporters?

Huckabee's only use to the country at large is as a poison within what used to be a fine political party but what has turned into a monster. He will either be vomited out as the GOP begins to heal itself, or he will kill off the beast for a good long while.

By the way, this is Russ. You're welcome for the comment.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the comment, Russ.
Let's See what Jennnifer A., and Kevin Summerall think.
There were 250 something other comments that went with the replies on the Two Huck story in the NY Times.
I wish you would take a look at those.
Maybe my fault is I am not clear; I did not use Mita as signalling an endorsement of HBee or anything, I just thought she was a colorful reply to the piece in the Times.
From our many exchanges before you know I can't trump you. My gifts are different from yours. I get out of the House a little more cause I get the water ready for others to walk on.
But please unless you are here to UP me, check DAvid Brooks masterful Two Earthquakes Oped in today's NY Times.
I thought about copying here in completion on this blog, but for virtue's sake think I will wait till Monday.
It is Magnificent indeed, Magisterial.
Let's see what the Boogie and her constituency think.
And For God's Sake, Let's keep workin on the Flag.

FoxOriginal, Fox Magnificent
Fox Picaresque and Magisterial

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ and I had this further exchange at Bl.com

by russ on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:51 pm

I like Brooks, but that commentary was just blather and spin.

Huckabee's not "at war with modern culture?" A guy who doesn't except evolution as sound scientific theory? A guy who thinks homosexual unions have to be outlawed for the good of...well, somebody, one supposes. A guy who wants to abolish the IRS isn't at war with modern culture? A Republican who ticks off Limbaugh and Wall Street isn't at war with modern culture?

Bull.

Brooks writes:

"But real middle-class families have more to fear economically from divorce than from a free trade pact."

That's a perception, not objective truth. Just because Huckabee supporters MIGHT fear the economic pressures of divorce more, doesn't mean that they "have more to fear" from them. I'd gamble most Huckabee supporters have sketchy-at-best ideas of what free trade even is. Besides: divorce? What happened to the sanctity of marriage? Aren't these people supposed to be in it for life?

Brooks needs a lot more ammo if he's really going to try to sell the "Republican Reformation" as something other than a "Republican Disaster/Collapse/Implosion/Re-Alignment."

He sounds like a somewhat desperate conservative trying to hold the Republicans together even as they try to rip themselves apart.

I think there is hope that a certain breed of hypocrisy on the Right may not survive 2008.russ

Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:56 pm
Location: Grievously close to Fox
Private message Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it
by Stephen Fox on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 pm

is a matter of semantics, but my reading comprehension level takes Brooks to hope for exactly the same thing you say you do, that a certain breed of hypocrisy in the GOP does not survive 08.

Before I read your take, I was thinkin why would it be up to Brooks and HBee to Reform the GOP? What has Richard Land been doing for the last 20 years.

Brooks doesn't appear to me to be endorsing the HBee package, just showing us how it may lead to some reform. If I read him correctly, he thinks HBee may open the door for John McCain this time around.

Some of your reservations about Brooks strike me as a little picayune. HBee is not Lincoln, but his campaign has opened up a rich vein of discussion in the country; and we here at this site have to hope it is medicine for Baptist witness in America.

Finally, if nothing else, Richard Land elevated, is levitating from the darker side of Atwater's memo to the Reagan Bush Committe in 84 where Atwater said: "...White Populists, (religious right) are the trump card in the game of politics in the South"
What Brooks is so masterfully pointing out today is that the Bush DAd and 43 team in particular who with Karl Rove and Richard Land gamed the political system at the expense of working class whites, may get their come uppance in Huckabee. That in and of itself is a very good thing.

As a footnote, HBee was asked about creationism on ABC this morning before you got up. I leave it to your almost Alma Mater first Lady Jeanna Westmoreland (Samford), to explain to the rest of us from her days as a HBee EdCom appointee in Arkansas to resolve some of your cultural apprehensions about HBee.

You are grand for the deliberations here and elevate the discussions immensely. However I am where I was; Brooks did a masterful job today in this Oped; most timely and eloquent.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last Anon who calls yourself Original
See Comment 6 in the SC Primary post and see if that ain't original.
And nothin personal but I don't think you are original nothin; how could you be if I already am as James said to Robert Ford in a fashion of; you know the way he said it.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was,t it Robert FORD WHO PUT A CAP IN jessie JAMES? sounds like he ain ' the only one getting shot down !!!!!!!!

sign me CALAMITY JANE!!!!!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jackass first commenter might want to actually spell "dearth" correctly when he's using it to insult someone else's intelligence.

Is jackass cussin'?

(Okay, I admit it: I was the first commenter. There's no spell-check here.)

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huckabee is going to win, so get used to it, folks.

9:40 AM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Some folks who don't like me at Bl.com have the Devil in Them and are posing as Christians when their actions would suggest otherwise.
I have deleted their post cause they are ad hominems against me and have nothing of substance to add to the Topic.
Nor apparently have the folks seen the Assassination of Jesse James cause they haven't figured out if they won't to be like me; or they won't to be me.
All folks who won't to identify themselves and add substance to my illustrious blog here are welcome.
The rest can go to Snyder Memorial for the time being; until folks there demonstrate a regenerate membership amongst all their folk, especially Sunday School Teachers.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Anonymous #1's comments ARE constructive. It DOES look as if you wrote the piece that you are only quoting.
Anonymous #2's comments, if not constructive, are at least of a friendly nature and complimentary of SC.
Anonymous #3's comments ARE constructive and were addressed to #1, merely pointing out that you do have a tendency to offer opinions other than your own.
BLOGS are set up to show off the owner, to give as much information about the blogger as he or she is willing to post for all and sundry to read. Those who respond to the blogs, however, are under no compulsion to identify themselves, unless it is required by the blog owner, and should be allowed to express their opinions without their characters or motives being called into play.
You, as owner of this BLOG, have to power to censor what they say if it offends you, or if you simply do not like it because it disagrees with your opinion.
If you believe in the free exchange of ideas and opinions, then let people respond and enjoy themselves without harassment . If you do not, then simply delete their responses and do not encourage people to respond in the future, or simply do not allow responses at all!

10:34 AM

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
anonymous #1,
what you said in your above comment is 100% correct-the administrator of this blog is the "internet copy and paste king"-check his numerous rambling posts on baptistlife.com for confirmation-

6:43 PM

ORFO RULES!!!!!!!!!!

2:56 PM  
Blogger That Baptist Ain't Right said...

Not a Huckabee fan here but for a lot of reasons. Those are my reasons. Those are my own political reasons. While those reasons can be debated, I've found that discussing politics really is a losing game for everyone. So is discussing faith, usually. Problem is I'm not sure how to not discuss either politics or faith & have a blog that discusses Baptists at all. Did that make =any= sense at all?

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home