My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Vermiculean and the Joys of Thinking

My friend Johnny Pierce of Baptists Today, a periodical well known to certain groups in Collinsville, Alabama, has a sweet blog today on thinking.

http://bteditor.blogspot.com/2008/04/joys-and-burdens-of-analytical-thinking.html

I commend it to my blog audience as well as my comment there.
I went on for a little and thought it only fair to give Pierce and his publication a plug.
As you see there, there is a community of good citizens out there, folks who are sinners like the rest of us, but not as big on whitewashing, phone trees as some of the rest of you/us.
As I have before, I commend all here to keep an eye on the musings of his hometown friend and her blog www.jeanniebabbtaylor.com
One thinking friend of mine almost turned 30 Yesterday.
Happy Birthday to Him
And next year on the 7th, my Dear Brother, Jim Willie will be 50.

One other item. You never know where conversations will go in Collinsville. Last night right there between the Piggly Wiggly and the Video Hut had a conversation with a fellow whose good fortune it was to have had a chat with Eddie Vetter himself; a chat in Florida he shared.
With the vermiculean musings of Cormac McCarthy in the last paragraph of The Road, it was just too much for one day. I'm glad I got outdoors to see what was going on in the world.
I almost forgot to get something about vermiculean in there.
To see if you have been paying attention:

Where would You put a hyphen in Petsmart or would you at all?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no such word as "vermiculean" and IF I were to hyphenate PETSMART, I'd put the hyphen between pet and smart.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cormac McCarthy says vermiculean is a word and he has a pulitzer and I imagine you don't.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I missed it a little. Cormac says "vermiculate".
Here is his closing:

"Once there were brook trouts in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

He still has a Pulitzer and I still imagine you don't.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't have to have a Pulitzer to spell correctly, and Cormac's writing is wonderful.

I don't know what vermiculate has to do with a hyphen in Petsmart, unless it has to do with the little critters being wormy!

Just having a little fun with you, no offense intended.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything offends me
but the verse in Ecclesiastes about Yielding to King to Prevent further Offense in Chapter 10; I claim that one.

Offences or Offenses

Ecclesiastes 10:4-6 KJV If the spirit (anger) of the ruler rise up against you, leave not your place, for yielding pacifies (playing the victim allows) great offenses. There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, as error which proceeds from the ruler. Folly is set in great dignity.

Luke 17:1 KJV "Offenses will come, but woe to him through whom they come."

So woe You if you err as to intent

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For-warned is for-armed. Thanks for the warning, I'll not bother you again.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

had a conversation with a fellow whose good fortune it was to have had a chat with Eddie Vetter himself; a chat in Florida he shared.

One thing about Mr.McCarthy-I'll bet he knows the correct spelling of the above name-it's Eddie Vedder-NOT Vetter-I may not have a Pulitzer Prize-but,I do own a laptop that has spellcheck and I use it!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home