My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Rick and Bubba Mah Fybuhh and Lack Thereof Redux

    Rick and Bubba are radio talk show hosts syndicated across the Southeast originally from the environs of Piedmont and Cleburne County Alabama, cultural roots of Rick Bragg. They are pretty much now the Jerry Clower face and voice of fundamentalist Southern Baptists in Bama and Mississippi moonlighting as they do at several mega fundy church events. They are goin out to Kansas soon.

   I got questions about their Mah Fybuhh as exegeted in the film Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

    If you scroll down on my blog posts you will see where I have at least three topics on them in the last couple months along.

    Their theological lack of sophistication, especially on immigration reform makes their awshucks attempts at comedy--sometimes they score--dangerous. They routinely have interns from U Bama and Samford and other schools in North Central Alabama.

   I talked to one of those interns this morning. I was outraged at the way they were spinning Trump's xenophobia in Jesus name this morn after Trump's brownshirt presentation last night in Arizona. When I called back to apologize, the screener said R and B were good to give me ten minutes on the air.

   Ive thought about it. If R and B really want to do Jesus work, advance the conversation and learn a little, I have begun conversations with folks who can get to Isabel Rubio, head of Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama.

   If she is good I'm good to come on with her for an hour to talk about what Jesus and Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Judge Frank Johnson and Will Willimon would think a Christ like way to go on Immigration Reform. I think we may have a wiser take on it than Charles From Reeltown.

    So ball in their court. In meantime they can bone up on some of my suggestions of the last several months here on this blog cause Jesus knows they got my attention.

  And Rick, I expect you to talk to your Momma cause your Manners weren't worth a damn when you had Russ Moore on live to talk about Romney and Trump a few weeks ago. I know your Momma raised you better than that. Bad manners to interrupt guests just to score points with the 1982 Reeltown Fighting whatever they were/are High School football team.

  If time allows we can chat a few minutes about tennis too, and Buckshot Willet of Anniston and Davis Cup etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home